Wood store

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Stormrider
Lively Laner

Wood store

Post by Stormrider »

Not up to the standard of the other projects seen here, I'm only a DIY learner after all, but I've made a start on a project I wanted last year and finally got round to.

I've got a stack of pallets which are destined to be the store of wood for the winter. We have a coal fire so we only need them as sticks to get the fire going (though in a pinch we have been known to put a bit more on but wood burns a lot hotter and can damage the fire). So to keep all this wood dry and save me having to go out in the snow/sleat/rain/cold etc I've been stockpiling them with the intention of building something to keep them in and keep them dry.

I'll take some photos in the morning of the beginning framework but pretty much it's 2 pallets joined at a right angle (base and back wall) with some wooden framework to complete the box shape (slightly raised at the front). I've got a small sheet of plywood on the top so far but there's still need of more to cover it. Then I'll either be felting or using polythene to waterproof it. Some planks down the side for stability and more polythene, then a roll down/tie up polythene front curtain (a-la Ock's run) and it's sorted. The theory being the pallet base will keep the wood for burning off the floor to keep it dry.

It's not all good news though... I did get some rather anti-social messages over the fence when finishing up (putting 6 nails into a piece of plywood) which I can't repeat here but the gist was that it's unreasonable for me to spent 3 minutes making a little noise at 7pm when it's perfectly fair for her husband to shoot his air rifle at other people's houses all day every day (someone recently reported him to the police, not me I might add, but I'm sure she doesn't think so!). I'm not usually one to speak ill of people but my word... still these people are sent to try us, just please, not for too long!

Anyway, enough ranting, photos to come tomorrow!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Wood store

Post by Mo »

If you keep hens the feed sacks prove very useful.Whether they are paper (for lining the coup to make mucking out easy), or plastic (for waterproofing). Would that go over your plywood?

Well done anyway.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Stormrider
Lively Laner

Post by Stormrider »

Yea, I thought about those, I've got loads of plastic bags in the back garden from various things (mostly holding rubble that my dad donated for my patio). I'd need to overlap then as the roof is about 4ft square.

I know my dad has some felt, we keep passing it back and forth, but first I need some more plywood to finish the roof. But still, it's coming along nicely despite local objections to me doing something constructive. Guess I'm not part of the "anything greasy or frozen for dinner paid for by benefits because we can't be bothered to work" crowd. If I sound bitter it's because I am probably lol
Stormrider
Lively Laner

Post by Stormrider »

And here's some pics for those interested.

Now I'm off to go fetch some more plywood for the roof (salvaged from my dad's scrap wood pile!).
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

So far so good )t'