Reclaimed glass for coop

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Reclaimed glass for coop

Post by LynneP »

Over the years we dragged around some glass panels from a niece's reno. We used a couple during our first coop construction, but this time David got ambitious, and I know his skills are advancing. He made slider windows so I can check inside the new coop space from the main floor of the barn. Eventually there will be a predator mesh behind this opening so that the birds don't crash into the glass and so that I can vent the coop air without a carnivore entering.

Sp glass was free, we have predator mest on hand, had the wood and the track cost about $5 Cdn.

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.
~Emily Dickinson

http://goldenhillsfarm.blogspot.com/201 ... -farm.html
AL37
Admin Moderator

Re: Reclaimed glass for coop

Post by AL37 »

Looks Greta Lynne, I have a load of old glass stacked all over the place just waiting for a project. I don't need another greenhouse so some of it may make a couple of cold frames.
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Post by LynneP »

I need some cold frames too. We have several pieces of that stuff left, might do a couple more windows in the barn then see what's left for projects. Was thnking that recycled pop bottles could be used for heat storage overnight and the glass for light.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.
~Emily Dickinson

foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

Good job )t'
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Post by LynneP »

How it turned out! There will be 1/2" hardware cloth behind the glass for predator protection and to signal the birds that there is a barrier...and today we found proper 'glass knobs' to make sliding the glass panels easier.

~Emily Dickinson

cindlady2
Learner Laner

Post by cindlady2 »

Just joined and just read the post however the pic.s were gone +confused+

I got my chickens sooner than I was ready for. My son had had them and then had a falling out with his roommates so took his chickens and left. We had just bought a house and planed on chickens in the spring so had plenty of time to make a decent coop.... hahaha.... We had 5 days and no money to build a coop! >dum< Lucky we did have a greenhouse/ garden shed/doghouse? building. We planed on completely overhauling the "doghouse" area for the coop but with only a few days we had to throw something together. Just so happen that where my hubby works they were tiering down some shelves and we got free 2x4s and some odd lumber was left at the house when we bought it.
A couple of days later on returning from one of my other son's house we noticed someone was throwing out some windows! (It was trash day) When I went to get our van to pick up the windows I spotted some screens a neighbor was throwing out!
So, with about 10 windows, 15 screens and some scrap lumber we made a coop! The only things I had to buy was a tarp for the floor, a box of deck screws and some straw!