Damp in walls

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Steve the Gas

Re: Damp in walls

Post by Steve the Gas »

Sorry it was cr*wn paints that stink :oops: }hairout{
kew4612
Lively Laner

Post by kew4612 »

Quote - There is a cavity because it was insulated with that foam stuff (technical term) approx 4 years ago.

Have been reading this thread with interest as I have worked in many older style properties over many years and have to say the problem is the above, cavity walls are not intended to be filled a cavity is left traditionally so moisture can evaporate between the 2 coarses of bricks hence there is no air circulating between the walls to aid this function. ( it is the same as leaving a window open after a shower or bath)

Simply put IMHO your foam is hanging wet between the walls because of your leak or external damp and moisture is finding the easiest way out usually to a warm room to replace that which has evaporated into the room from surface plaster, Hence the blown area ,your decorator could smell the foam behind the wall ( I have had interior walls down and seen this at first hand)

There is no easy fix except to hopefully let the whole thing dry naturally in the coming warm months........
4pigs
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4pigs »

Thanks Kew
The builder said he didn't think it was damp in the wall but he said he could smell a bit of a nasty smell coming from the wall.... have i mentioned this house is up for sale? yike*
He thought that the wall hadn't dried out properly before the wall was re-decorated and that it should be left alone to see if it "goes off" when the weather gets warmer.
So... what you're saying makes sense - i hadn't given any thought to the insulation drying out and he didn't specifically mention it.
... have been told to sort the pointing out though! I reckon i best start saving and have it done in sections :?
I hope so much that you're right and it goes off - it's been worrying me.

Thank you all

Jo x
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

The pointing will be a factor too....damp travels }hairout{
4pigs
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4pigs »

I had a quote for the whole house to be re-pointed and i can't remember what it was because i just thought - there is no way on this earth that i can afford it - it was over 3k.
I then thought i could just have the worst wall done (this is the wall which funnily enough is also smelly) and asked for a new quote - just for this one wall - they never came back to me.
I asked a couple of people locally about perhaps doing it for extra money at weekends etc but they just said "it's a boring job" or turned their noses up.
The chap that came round the other day said he would sort it out but i get the impression that it is not going to be on the top of his list either. That said - he didn't tell me how much he would do it for either - and i probably still cant afford it for a while :?
Mind you i have come up with a plan. Stack all the recycling bins (that i am now the proud owner of - thank you West Berks) up against the wall to give it some protection from the elements. This may work until some plank nicks them :-D

Jo x
kew4612
Lively Laner

Post by kew4612 »

I do have to admit it is a boring job have done quite a bit myself but not any more I am afraid }hairout{ 3k is a lot but even if somebody offers to do the problem wall that should help. If you are selling as you say, most people just do a cosmetic job and keep their fingers crossed when the house is veiwed,

Like the idea of bin stacking but as before it will take time, I have just painted a down stairs loo with no heating in it and the paint took 3 days to fully dry so imagine the amount of water held in the walls after a big leak.

Hope it all works out . :-D
4pigs
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4pigs »

Thing is - i believe in doing something properly or just leave it alone. I think the people i bought this house from were very much "cover it up" people which has caused many problems for me further down the line.

It's the way of the world {mr.angry}

Jo x
Shrek
Lively Laner

Post by Shrek »

We live in an old building that was built around 1840 and we have a scabby old wall (internal) that "Gasses" saltings from the old brick/stonework, we just repaint it every now and then.

My philosophy is..... This scabby bit of wall was releasing salt way before I existed and it will continue to do so long after I have gone !!!!!!!!

Not much help but true {hug&kiss}
One elderly cat called Chloe and Zak the baby tom.... Betty the Speckledy, Maggie the Black Rock and Kylie the Bluebelle !!!