HELP COMPUTER PROBLEM

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Maggie1

HELP COMPUTER PROBLEM

Post by Maggie1 »

Just lately my main computer doesn't always start when you turn it on. It says theres no power (our laptops are working fine) When I finally get into it I can be working on something and everything ceases and it crashes out.
Today I decided to put a virus (Avast) killer through it. It went through the scan fine and then it came up with a message that I had got a serious problem with Stop Drive or Blue Screen. Problem is it had ceased with this message over the solution to the problem and I don't know what to do.
Anybody out there that can help. With nice easy simpleton instructions though as I'm not that good with technical terms
Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

Re: HELP COMPUTER PROBLEM

Post by Knikitta »

Firstly - What exactly 'says' it has no power?

Second - Virus scanners like Avast are not really very good, and if its a power problem, then no virus scanner will help :P

Lastly... Would it be possible to take a screen shot of your messages that you are gettings? You can do this by hitting the Print Screen key and then opening something like Paint and pressing CTRL + V at the same time.

This will paste your 'print screen' into Paint so you can save the image to show us all.
I swear I'll have a permanent imprint of my palm over my face from reading forums.
Raven
Lively Laner

Post by Raven »

2 possibilities I can think of, first being your power supply (the PSU inside the computer) is on its way out. This is a fault you see a lot on older models that have been upgraded, or on less expensive models where they use a lower rated PSU to save costs. The only real option is to replace the PSU if that's the case.

The other is a virus, but tbh if it is Avast should've killed it. Did you have any antivirus software installed before the problem started? If not then the virus theory becomes more solid...
In frith,
Raven

Our Eggs don't Skelter
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

If I turn on the computer on and it gives a long bleep I get a black screen and a white notice with a red border saying RGB No Imput Signal.
If I turn the computer on and I get a short bleep I'm into the computer

Yes Raven I have had Avast for a couple of years now and not changed. We used to Have Norton till advised to change as they were rubbish.
entrus
Lively Laner

Post by entrus »

Hi Maggie,

The beeps, or lack of them, is how the computer tells you what is wrong with it. 1 long beep on an IBM compatible PC usually means that the power supply is not workuing properly. This is also evidenced by your monitor going into RGB mode as it has nothing attached giving it a signal to display.

List of beeps here if you are curious:

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

My money is on your power supply, but when you buy one, don't buy the cheapest, it is false economy.

Hope this helps,

Nick
[center][/center]Visit us at the the Living Well On A Shoestring Blog at http://tinyurl.com/a5hdujt Helping you live better on less!
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

If its the power supply why is when I actually get into the computer I can be on it for about 3 hours before it freezes and crashes.
Raven
Lively Laner

Post by Raven »

It's not actually died yet, but it's getting there by the sound of it. It's possible that it could cause damage to the components if you let it carry on for too long though.
In frith,
Raven

Our Eggs don't Skelter
entrus
Lively Laner

Post by entrus »

Hi Maggie,

I know it may seem strange, but it is most likely an intermittent fault and not a terminal failure. The bios beep and the monitor are the giveaways. If I were you I would get it changed before it gives up the ghost when you are in the middle of doing something important (sod's first law of computing).

Power supplies are relatively cheap, about £15.00 each on ebay, and they are a doddle to fit.

One thing though before you go spending your money, check that the power leads are in their sockets at the back of the computer. If they are OK, then it is a new power supply.

Hope this helps,

Nick
[center][/center]Visit us at the the Living Well On A Shoestring Blog at http://tinyurl.com/a5hdujt Helping you live better on less!