Our 3 tier vegetable planter.

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Gareth
Lively Laner

Our 3 tier vegetable planter.

Post by Gareth »

I love a reclaimed pallet project, and have got stripping a pallet down to almost a fine art. Even my partner Lois; all 8 st 5 lbs of her can now manually strip a 2 way, ISO standard pallet down in around 90 seconds without breaking out into a sweat or damaging either the planks or the stringers. I have a preference to reclaim the timbers from 2 way pallets, as the majority of these have only a one-way life span. Most of the free pallets that I obtain are larger than average 2 ways because they yield stringers (very useful lengths of 3" X 2") as well as the planks. Recently the pallets I have picked up have been 1.5 metres long X 2.5 and 3 metres wide, close boarded on both sides and been able to harvest qty 20 planks of 10cm wide X 2cm thick from each of them (10 per side). Next week I have 30 plus pallets to pick up that are 2.5 metres long and 5 & 6 metres wide, and all are made from 7cm or 10 cm square section stringers and planks ... you can't imagine how happy I am to have stumbled across such a large quantity of free to collect usable timber, even though I'll have to strip them on-site before loading them on to the roof of my Peugeot estate (I can only just get 3 meter lengths inside the car).

Back to the 3 tiered Planter

The base tier is: 150 cm L X 150 cm W X 30 cm H, or about 60" X 60" X 12"

The middle tier is 100cm L X 100cm W X 60cm H, or about 40" X 40" X 24"

The top tier is: 50cm L X 50cm W X 90 cm H, or about 20" X 20" X 36"

It took me about 30 minutes to strip and de-nail sufficient pallets to complete the project, and another 15 hours to cut, joint, glue, screw,assemble, paint, preserve, and fill the planter with riddled through stone free soil.

Here are a few photos of our 3 tiered vegetable planter as work-in-pogress and completed ready to plant up and grow stuff:

I now have two more tiered planters as work in progress: one stepped out from the rear corner, and the other stepped out from the centre. I will post them up when the projects are completed
Regards

Gareth
madmum
Legendary Laner

Re: Our 3 tier vegetable planter.

Post by madmum »

I can sense peoples mouths salivating at the thought of stripping pallets down )t' Hubbs made my duck house and fence out of reclaimed wood.It certainly won't blow away )j;
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

So what are you going to plant in it?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gareth
Lively Laner

Post by Gareth »

I have no idea what Lois has planted in each tier, but I do know that so far she has planted a few seeds of each of the following: Asparagus peas, Oriental spicy greens, rainbow Chard, Spring onions, and Red & White varieties of Radish.
Regards

Gareth
Emmachuck
Lively Laner

Post by Emmachuck »

That looks fantastic! I love your dog too-he looks very pleased with himself! :-D

Emma
Gareth
Lively Laner

Post by Gareth »

Emmachuck wrote:That looks fantastic! I love your dog too-he looks very pleased with himself! :-D Emma

Hmmm!

Currently the garden and it's contents are just one fun filled agility course to be enjoyed at maximum speed, and preferably incorporating a stick, ball or Frisbee. }hairout{

Oz is a rescue collie aged about 18 months old, we have had him for a little over 6 of those months, The garden planter, picnic benches, (currently vacant) chicken coop, 1000 ltr water container and timber stack make perfect hurdles and obstacles to be jumped over and upon.

A few months ago, I made a set of flat pack for storage, regulation size flyball hurdles, and cut a large jump through hole in the for sale sign left behind by the estate agents when we moved here last year, and just like a kid on boxing day he became bored with these toys. Oz has now decided and acts like everything we have in the garden is there for his sole benefit; The 1 mtr high temporary plastic barrier fencing that we placed around the planter to keep him off wasn't even a challenge!
Regards

Gareth
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

You have to love collies!!!!!!We have a saluki,a spaniel and a husky,and no garden!!!!!!!! )j; They have a garden........... Even the huge round table hubbs made is our husky's perch to look over the wall at the bottom of the garden!!!!!!!
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Gareth
Lively Laner

Post by Gareth »

Lois was really excited yesterday when she watered the 3 tier veg planter, when she spotted that the Spicy Oriental Greens, and the Rainbow Chard had germinated and both crops are currently at the two leaf stage.

I think that is rather good going, when you consider that the seeds where only sown 7 days ago.
Regards

Gareth
issy
Lively Laner

Post by issy »

This is just a brilliant idea! You clever man )t'
Last year my hubby made a raised bed with decking, as we could not get our hands on any pallets. I just really like the 3 tier idea, it looks great and will look even better when it is all planted up.
I just let my hubby see your pics and he says he will make me one. :-D Just have to try to get some pallets now. I live in dundee, any ideas where i could get pallets?? Tried our local BQ but they send all their pallets back now. )hlp>
Enthusiastic veg grower. Trying to be more frugal. Family:Much loved husband, son, 2 dogs, 1 cat and 8 ex batts soon to arrive.
RIP Dumpling,Boss,Plum, Pudding,Hoppy,Betty,Custard and Gerty our ex battys
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

issy wrote:.... any ideas where i could get pallets?? Tried our local BQ but they send all their pallets back now.

frustrating for you, but less wasteful, more enviro-friendly
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

Best dog bed I ever saw!

)t'
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.
issy
Lively Laner

Post by issy »

Mo wrote:
issy wrote:.... any ideas where i could get pallets?? Tried our local BQ but they send all their pallets back now.

frustrating for you, but less wasteful, more enviro-friendly

Hi Mo, i just got my hands on some pallets :-D now the job of trying to strip them down. yike* We are going to try to make a large chicken run with them and the planter :-D got a really good deal on ebay for the foxproof wire. will post some pics if it goes to plan.
Enthusiastic veg grower. Trying to be more frugal. Family:Much loved husband, son, 2 dogs, 1 cat and 8 ex batts soon to arrive.
RIP Dumpling,Boss,Plum, Pudding,Hoppy,Betty,Custard and Gerty our ex battys
Gareth
Lively Laner

Post by Gareth »

Six weeks in, and our 3 tiered veg planter is providing Lois & I with more salad veg than we can eat: currently 6 main meals per week, and sandwiches every day, so as you can imagine we are both extremely pleased with it and its performance.

Today, I finished making a reclaimed pallet timber 3 tiered Heb planter. At first we wanted a stepped pyramid one, but when we started to set it up, it looked awful: too regimented. So Lois suggested that the middle tier be installed diagonally rather than square on. That made all the difference. )t'

Rain stopped play this afternoon, and so I have still got to finish filling it with drainage stones and riddle soil mixed with compost, before adding the potted Herbs.

The planter is made up of 3 free standing squares. Bottom tier 120 cm X 120 cm X 15 cm. Middle tier 80 cm X 80 cm X 30 cm. Top tier 40 cm X 40 cm X 45 cm.

I think it will look fabulous filled with many different culinary herbs of different plant types, leaf shapes and colours.

Now I have to get the 3 tiered flower planter made. This will be another 120 cm X 120cm X 15 cm square base, but the middle and top tiers will be of a chevron type design.
Regards

Gareth
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

They are looking great!!!!! )ot: I have to ask cos daughter is in to B.O.P what do you have on your arm in your avatar?
Gareth
Lively Laner

Post by Gareth »

The bird in my avatar is a male Bengal Eagle Owl; it's not one of my birds.

I have a breeding pair of Red Tail Hawks (Buteo jamaicensis).

Regards

Gareth