Stiff tap

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Tink
Longlasting Laner

Stiff tap

Post by Tink »

I have one of those taps on the bathroom sink that you pull up and swivel to right or left for hot/cold water.
It has become stiff and jerky. I have lifted and sprayed with WD40 and no different. The only other thing I can think of is Vaseline? >coc<
saint-spoon

Re: Stiff tap

Post by saint-spoon »

not sure where you are going to put the petrolium jelly, it sounds like the internal stuff is breaking down and you might have to replace the tap... where's STG when you need someon who knows about such things. Stiff and Jerky doesn't sound like the ap is in good nick, might be a simle fix but if wd doesn't work not sure that Vas will. Sorry for being negative. Christmas smilies at you .santa. .san.jump. =win= >tree<
Bah Humbug
Tink
Longlasting Laner

Post by Tink »

OK thanks, not sure how to dismantle it , will have a look in the morning. It may have a washer in it. .sn< >tree< .san.jump.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

I almost live here....
Fitted a few of these but not repaired any, iirc they may have a ceramic disc in the mixer assembly that breaks all too often.
Do you know the make?
Tink
Longlasting Laner

Post by Tink »

Don't know the make Steve. I don't know how to open it up. Do I just pull off the top bit that moves. I am worried I will just get a flood of water coming out. Behind the tap is a lever/plunger that opens and closes the sink plug. I am trying to find one ontinternet to see whats inside!
I should also be able to ring the shop that supplied it in the morning.
many thanks .sn<
(Steve Annie still the same). >ch<
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

There should be a recessed allen screw (s), prolly on the side or back of the tap body, close to the turning top.
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

Just replaced a mono bloc basin tap that came with a pop up waste supplied with flexi tails, wait for it, £18 plus the dreaded, don't waste your time repairing it unless it is under warranty.
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
Tink
Longlasting Laner

Post by Tink »

Hi, Can't find any screw. The place I got it from appears to be closed today. We have decided not to use the tap over Xmas in case it fails. We have a utility a few feet away.
All the best =win= .san.jump. .sn< >tree< .santa.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

)t' .santa.
Tink
Longlasting Laner

Post by Tink »

Been in touch with supplier today finally.
Gave us the confidence to dismantle it.
Then we had various panics :oops: as so not DIY folks , no obvious problems so put it all back together.
Hey presto..... seems to have fixed it without knowing how. We had cleaned all parts and put very light layer if vaseline on screw areas.
May still order replacement though as some areas we could see airline cracks.
Just did not wish to be without water overnight in case we botched it and could not get it back together .
Our village has been without electric for 9 hours so glad to get all utilities back working..
Phew !
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

)app(