Pallet bonanza

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
vegalot
Lively Laner

Pallet bonanza

Post by vegalot »

Looks like 2012 is starting well, since my bike and trailer are usable now, I decided
to take a ride, to the industrial estate, to see if any pallets were available.
First place I called at, they had some pallets in a skip, broken but I could have used them,
however they wouldn't let me take them out of the skip (health and safety issues), :? but the owner then dragged me around the back of the premises and told me to take as many, from there, as I wanted. Must have been over 300 pallets and he wanted rid of them. :-D
Several phone calls later, myself and a few friends, removed them all and I have
permission to call anytime for more.

As I left with my last load, I spied some 5gall buckets and yes I got 30 of them, again told to return for more if needed. )t'

Spent what was left of yesterday and this morning stripping 40 pallets, my wood shed
is now full again.

Pallets will become raised beds and a strawberry planter. The buckets will be used for
spuds and to make some global buckets. :-D
If a man is alone in the garden and speaks, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Re: Pallet bonanza

Post by HappyBob »

Briliant Vegelot, but your not going to tell me you got all 300 on yer bike are you :-D
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
vegalot
Lively Laner

Post by vegalot »

Hehe, that would have been an interesting photo, but no, I only got either 6 or 7 stripped pallets on the trailer, just as I was about to leave, the owner told me he wanted the lot gone and did I know anyone else, who may need some, so I phoned several friends, who had asked in the past and most of them turned up, with vans/cars and trailers and I got another 40ish delivered by a friend, then spent the day ripping them apart at home.

I just went back, to collect some more buckets, and the owner was telling me, that it would have cost him over £600 to get them removed, since the landfill won't take them anymore and no-one wanted to buy them off him. So I have a supply of pallets now. :-D
If a man is alone in the garden and speaks, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
manda

Post by manda »

That is fantastic..what a result )app(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

)app(

Out of curiousity Veg, was it a printing firm?
vegalot
Lively Laner

Post by vegalot »

It wasn't a printing firm Steve, they make rolls of plastic sheeting, which they ship on large plastic pallets. :-D
Cranford Steve
Lively Laner

Post by Cranford Steve »

Well done that man! I am going on a pallet hunt next week myself. )t'
"thou shall not lay a hedge, when the birds are nesting"[center][/center]
vegalot
Lively Laner

Post by vegalot »

Pity you didn't live closer, he rang me up earlier today to tell me he has about another 60-70 pallets in his overspill yard, so I made 2 trips today and brought another 14 home, :-D the rest are going to an allotment, where they sell them for 50p each, to raise funds for seeds etc.
While I was in the yard, I noticed a large roll of green mesh netting, that looks like its been there a good while, going to see if I can get a deal on it monday. :-D
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

I am envy}} I need around 20x4' pallets (to start with) and have nowhere to get any without paying a small fortune for them - well, I havent been able to find a cheap/free source yet anyway. Can you send that guy and his company over here to start a sister group?
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
vegalot
Lively Laner

Post by vegalot »

I have found that most places will give broken pallets away quite freely, whole pallets seem harder to get for free. I just landed lucky, finding a place that has stuff delivered on wood pallets, but have to use plastic ones when they move the finished product. :-D

My problem is finding those blue barrels, to use for composters and a water collection system, they have either had toxic products in them or they have to be returned. :?
manda

Post by manda »

Not free but what about ....here

Maybe someone near you can help or would know who could I know they will probably cost but will be much less than buying a new composter. We've bought them here in NZ and the difference was amazing ...we've used them for emergency stuff though (keep things dry as we got the ones with the lids that have got the ring seal.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
vegalot
Lively Laner

Post by vegalot »

Thanks Manda, )t' I do have a place just 10 mins away from me, that will happily sell me some, however, since I will be cutting some of them up, I really don't want to pay for them.
If I should have a "oh damn" moment and ruin one, the OH would most likely bury me under one of the composters :-D and since its not something I really need yet, I'll keep looking around.
vegalot
Lively Laner

Post by vegalot »

My luck seems to be holding out still, a few days ago I noticed a house that was having the garden done and saw a lot of tree branches ready to go in the skip, I asked the workmen if I could take them and was told to take whatever I wanted, since they had to pay to dump them yike*

So after a quick trip home, to collect the chainsaw, I cut them all to a reasonable length for moving, at which point the boss offered to drop them at my house after they were done :-D that was fine by me.

As we stood chatting, I mentioned that if it saved him a few quid, he could always drop any logs, chunky timber or pallets off at mine and I came home on thursday to find he had. My front garden looked like a demolition yard and now my back garden does. :-D

I have split around 2/3rds of the pallets up, the rest have a new home to go to. This lot has to be de-nailed yet :?

In this pile, there are quite a few 14' x 5" x 3" beams and in my shed there is around a dozen 7' x 3" x 2", plus a whole load of fence posts.

And this is my de-nailed pile so far.

All the unusable pices will be burnt on our fire and I have no idea where I'm going to store the big beams, until I have any ideas what to use them for. )grin2(