"BOKASHI"

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Cranford Steve
Lively Laner

"BOKASHI"

Post by Cranford Steve »

I am going make two massive "BOKASHI" bins. I think I shall use the black wheelie bins. When one is full you need to leave it for 2 weeks, so while it is fermenting I shall be filling up the other! Hopefully it will work, I am also going to make my own bokashi bran! )t'
"thou shall not lay a hedge, when the birds are nesting"[center][/center]
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Re: "BOKASHI"

Post by ChrisG »

Apparently, for it to work properly, there has to be some way for the liquid to drain out of the bottom otherwise you just get a smelly mush in the bin. My bin has a trivet at the bottom, which separates the liquid from the compstable stuff, and there is a tap to drain it off every so often. It can be diluted and used as liquid plant feed too )t'
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
Cranford Steve
Lively Laner

Post by Cranford Steve »

I am going to make a sort of perforated shelf in the bottom with a tap. Not sure what out of yet but thats the plan! :-D
"thou shall not lay a hedge, when the birds are nesting"[center][/center]
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

What is Bokashi? :-D
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Bran )t'
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Bran? Like the stuff I put in my blackberry muffins? Or my morning cereal?
manda

Post by manda »

The bran has a bacteria in it that you sprinkle over the food stuffs - shut it in a sealed bucket and over a couple of weeks it ferments..then you bury it and it composts.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

manda wrote:The bran has a bacteria in it that you sprinkle over the food stuffs - shut it in a sealed bucket and over a couple of weeks it ferments..then you bury it and it composts.

Aah! so it's not edible bran~ it's strictly for composting. Thank you, Manda :-D
manda

Post by manda »

The bran is wheat bran Lillia...you could eat it but after you add molasses and the microorganisms you might not want to sile}
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny