A new second hand greenhouse

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Ryan
Lively Laner

A new second hand greenhouse

Post by Ryan »

Finally saved a few quid and have a second hand greenhouse being delivered on Saturday (30 quid all in with all glass was hard to resist after looking at the prices in B&Q!).

Now, what would be the best base to put it on - the garden can get a bit breezy on occasion but on the whole its quite bright and quiet.

I was thinking of digging in a 'foundation' of breeze blocks to rest everything on, but what would be the best way of attaching the greenhouse to the blocks?

A few bolts through the frame to the bricks or a bit of concrete on the blocks with the greenhouse sat in it?

Once again, I am far more excited than I should be over a greenhouse, especially at my age!

That was the first bargain as well - managed to get an auto watering thing as well from B&Q in the sale box. Timer attached to the hose and sprinkler effort for 15 quid at the end of last season (looks a bit like http://tinyurl.com/yeqrvqs) and will help the plants when they finally get in the greenhouse when I forget to water!!

Things are looking good for veggies this year (fingers crossed)
AL37
Admin Moderator

Re: A new second hand greenhouse

Post by AL37 »

Hi Malefic, My prefered greenhouse foundation has to be railway sleepers and good long screws or coach bolts holding the GH down.
Breeze blocks are just as good if you can lay them perfectly level.
I would use plenty of screws and plugs to hold it down
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
Ryan
Lively Laner

Post by Ryan »

Thanks for the reply Al - I have tomorrow off work so may go price up sleepers compared to blocks and cement. Didn't even think along the sleeper line!
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

I think you may find sleepers more expensive but then they are quicker to lay if you can some help. Last time I used sleepers I put them on edge on a bed of cement. It gave the GH an extra ten inches of height, which could give you a few extra tomatoes. )t'
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

envy}} Just what I was looking for, but I've gone for a polytunnel now.
I would go the sleeper way too, mainly because I was offered some free! )grin2(
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

that timer for the watering is a bargin, i've got one which i've used for the past 4 years on hanging baskets and large pots, it's great.
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
Ryan
Lively Laner

Post by Ryan »

Bollybarb wrote:that timer for the watering is a bargin, i've got one which i've used for the past 4 years on hanging baskets and large pots, it's great.

It was in their bargain bucket because it was missing a hose connector - so I bought one whilst I was there for a couple more quid. Still saved a lot!!

Strange why they didn't just drop one of their own connectors in the box and sell it at full price - their loss, my gain :D
Ryan
Lively Laner

Post by Ryan »

Well, it arrived today - no instructions, a handful of bolts and a lot of strange looking metal bits!

Bonus was it came with a base, something I wasn't expecting and it was ready made. Its only a 6 x 4 but thats plenty for the garden.

After about an hour of me trying to put bits where I thought they should my wife came out and within 5 minutes all the parts were put in the garden like a giant airfix kit, god she is good at that stuff whilst she shows me up!!

Anyway, as evening was starting to roll in I started to put it together and thanks to the airfix kit way the parts were put out for me (she is still reminding me how easy it was ;)) about 30 minutes later it was up.

Downside was there were 2 bits missing and they had to be the vertical struts down the back wall to hold the glass in so tomorrow is a bit of a bodge hour figuring out how to put support in there for the glass and the greenhouse.

I am thinking some wood from top to bottom and then silicone the glass in with some cable clamps screwed into the wood and hold the edge for the belt and braces approach.

Figured out I need 16 breeze blocks (due to price over the sleepers!!), one bag of cement and 2 bags of sand to get everything in properly.

This time next week I should have some plants going in there to start shooting.

Hopefully this year my tomatos may do better under glass than on my patio!

:)
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Nice one Malefic )t'
Hope the rest of it goes together okay.
I did think blocks would be more cost efective for the foundation.
A picture would be nice when its done. :-D
Ryan
Lively Laner

Post by Ryan »

I will try and remember to get a photo tomorrow in the daylight - will try to keep the rest of the garden out of the picture, bit of a train wreck at the mo!!

Ry
Ryan
Lively Laner

Post by Ryan »

Took a while but its finally up - hooray!

Unfortunately we were missing a few supports so there was no way we could put glass in the whole of the back of the greenhouse :(

So after a bit of Blue Peter bodging, we put marine plywood across the back (its against the fence so its not missing too much light) and the remaining 3 sides and roof now have glass in.

This weekend will be cleaning the muck off the glass and preparing the ground (with the help of chicken poo and some peat!)

Woohoo....our own greenhouse (only 6 x 4 in the end but hey, beggers can't be fussy and it means the toms may grow better than sat on the patio)
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Ryan wrote:This weekend will be cleaning the muck off the glass and preparing the ground (with the help of chicken poo and some peat!)

I had never thought of cleaning the windows with chicken poo before!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Ryan
Lively Laner

Post by Ryan »

Saves buying whitewash to block out the sun ;)
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Aha! Good plan......ermmmm sun? What is that? Ha ha ha
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com