An understanding of 'Raised Beds'

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: An understanding of 'Raised Beds'

Post by Totally Scrambled »

We've got three 40' x 4' raised beds in the veg plot. They are raised by about 9". I put them in for two reasons, 1/ because it helped even out the soil where the garden has a slight incline and because I got fed up with edging them where the grass kept invading.
My brother has a garden that slopes quite steeply in several places and he used old railway sleepers, stacked three high at one end to make his beds more level. They're a bit pricey but they've been there about ten years and are still solid, so maybe long term not a bad option.
Dom
PS Note to self must get up the veg plot and do something with it.
Ali Woks My World
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

We have four 3 x 1.5m raised beds, about 6 inches raised.

All that LancashireLass and Willow said applies to ours. No dig is possible quite easily, even runner beans don't get trenched.

OK the chickens have taken one of them beds, but we didn't really need all 4 now, did we????

I would heartily recommend them to anyone with poor soil, slopes and any size garden!
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
kaveri
Lively Laner

Post by kaveri »

I have created new raised beds in the front garden today. This morning I picked up two wooden drawers from a skip and with slight modification, put them up in the front garden, which is pebbled. I plan to plant flowers there so that the front looks nice too. So excited and glad that I was able to get free ready-made raised beds.