Weeds!!!!

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
pottyaboutgrowing
Lively Laner

Weeds!!!!

Post by pottyaboutgrowing »

How do you all deal with the weeds in your gardens/lotty's??? We are still quite new to the growing thing this will be our second year.. admittedly we didn't put the lotty to bed as we should have.. we are once again covered in weeds.. We don't really want to use shop bought weed killers and have tried making our own that we found on another gardening site but it is rubbish.. We are beginning to think the only way to get on top of the problem is to go down the shop bought route.. we are both the wrong side of 50 (only just mind :-D ) but we both suffer with osteo arthritis so it's not easy for either of us.. I have just finished the fruit garden 20ftX6ft weeded all by hand and dug over and planted with some more fruit bushes and strawbs took me 4DAYS :shock: .............. I know!! only did a bit at a time.. but trying to get the rest of the lotty sorted by hand will take us ages and we will be to late to grow anything.. )hlp>
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Re: Weeds!!!!

Post by rhubarb93 »

I think you will find as it's your 2nd year, the bits you worked last year will be much easier to dig this year, and the weeds will be more superficial.
If you have or can get any old carpet, put it down on the area(s) you are going to work on next, and it will help kill off the weeds. Then just move it on each time. Sometimes you can get offcuts from skips behind carpet stores.
If the ground is at all dry, soaking it well the day before will also make digging easier.
Don't despair - it is possible. I did it without weedkiller about 4 years back, and it gets better year by year. )t'
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Hello Potty,
Just a thought but have you thought of getting a long handled garden fork? They save a lot of bending and might make things a bit easier for you. They have a handle a bit like a pitchfork.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I am a fair bit older than you and still manage the garden and allotment. As I also suffer from osteo arthritis, I use as suggested long handled tools which are readily available from most garden centres. Most important for weeds is a dutch hoe. If you keep chopping them down, they will get weaker each year. Don't let weeds go to seed or they then multiply.
Good luck with your garden. It is always hard work at the begining but well worth it when you enjoy the work you have put in.

June )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

We also put old carpet and plastic down on our lotty when we had one. Then it keeps it weed free and you roll it back as you go. Plus it keeps the ground warm. Then at the end of the season dig over and put carpet/plastic where you've dug and come Spring you fold it back and plant your seedlings.
pottyaboutgrowing
Lively Laner

Thank for the tips the longer tools {warn} sound a good idea maybe should try that.. and put the ground to bed next winter... some folk never learn. :oops:
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4 french hens »

Dutch hoes are often the answer. Just a few minutes a day will keep the weeds at bay.They don't like being beheaded every day and soon give up growing, even the thistles.

Old allotmenters saying is "One years seeds=seven years weeds".

Worst of all the weeds refuse to grow in straigt lines!!!

Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
pottyaboutgrowing
Lively Laner

lol we have now resorted to blow torch them think it's just coz OH like's his new toy... >fi< here's hoping
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

Why don't Slugs eat weeds ?????????

+confused+
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Why do bl**dy weeds keep growing when all around can be dying. Why have I lost 6 ceanothus this year but the nettles are thriving!!!!??????
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Panteg Produce wrote:Why don't Slugs eat weeds ?????????

+confused+

Perhaps they could be trained....
Wendy, fancy having a go with clicker training? {rofwl}
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

rhubarb93 wrote:
Panteg Produce wrote:Why don't Slugs eat weeds ?????????

+confused+

Perhaps they could be trained....
Wendy, fancy having a go with clicker training? {rofwl}

I wonder if I could get away with using one of those illegal Dog collars that give out electric shocks at the push of one's button on a SLUG!

{mr.angry}
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

Pottyabout growing, have a look at these two sites.

http://www.chillingtontoolsonline.co.uk/

http://www.get-digging.co.uk/

They both sell long handled spades and forks as well as Azadas, these are traditional tools that you will find being used all over Europe, South America, Asia and Africa. I suffer with my back and being quite tall found these Azadas very useful as I don't stoop over a short handled fork/spade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtSa3RHkAa0&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pYNsX2mMd4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d_Uz8VQwLQ

The heavy to medium duty hoe/azada will clear quite compacted weeds and the light duty tool is good for day to day weeding/cultivating. the last video shows a ridging hoe which is excellent for spud growing )t'
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

The best thing I have come across for weeds so far is my two pigs. Nothing at all grows where they are. )grin2(
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
pottyaboutgrowing
Lively Laner

I have the solution.. Hens.. they loooovvvee weeds.. Now I just have to find a way of training them not to eat my veggies.. >dum< who's got the clicker.. +confused+