fast growing evergreens

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
davina112
Legendary Laner

fast growing evergreens

Post by davina112 »

Hi
can anyone help please. There is a huge new super school being built right at the back of my garden. I need to plant something very fast growing but needs to be evergreen, so I can block some of the noise out and also block out the horrid huge building I am going to be faced with
[center][/center]Davina
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: fast growing evergreens

Post by lancashire lass »

The notorious ultimate fast growing evergreen hedge would be Leylandii - but if they are not pruned regularly can become a nightmare and the cause of many arguements with neighbours and local authorities for blocking light from gardens and homes.

It might seem like a good idea to have a fast growing evergreen hedge to solve an immediate problem but in the long term are not recommended in a garden because they don't stop growing once the perfect height has been achieved. If you own the property, you should think about the sale potential - a buyer might be put off by the sight of a hedge (especially Leylandii) that will either need to be chopped down or need to be regularly pruned at least 2 - 3 times a year. Also, hedges don't really reduce noise levels that much (especially screaming children - my privet hedge certainly doesn't LOL) but will provide some privacy.

How about privet? There is a golden variety so it doesn't look so boring, or maybe a flowering type such as rhododendrum, or a berry producing one for wild birds such as cotoneaster. Laurus nobilis is the culinary bay tree - they can be a bit picky and not so tolerant of cold weather ... having said that, my neighbour has one right next to a fence and is now a good 12 feet or more high! It took a few years to get to that height - not noticeable at first until I realised it was shading my garden. The nice thing about clipping it back and shredding the trimmings is the wonderful aroma of herb. Be aware that other laurel varieties are not edible. Thorny type hedge will prevent people trying to climb over a fence.

Instead of a line of the same type of hedging plants, why not go for a mix like a hedgerow - apart from being more interesting to look at, will provide a natural habitat for wildlife such as birds, bees and butterflies, and you could have a mix of evergreen and deciduous trees/plants with maybe a fruit such as an elder, blackthorn (sloe) or hawthorn (you can get different ones to those you see alongside roads) among them. A lot really depends on the size of your garden of course, as well as soil type - some plants don't like heavy or sandy soil. Perhaps a local garden centre might be able to advise you on what is suitable?
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Oh dear,poor you.Do you have a local garden center or tame plantsman who can advise you.I'm with LL on the hedge, a mix would be more attractive than lleyandii( )de: ) Perhaps you could inter- plant them with some other small trees like some beech slips,or silver birch, which will break up the yuk.Beech grows fairly swiftly and goes such fab colours it also keeps its leaves.
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
manda

Post by manda »

Hubby (arborist) suggests one of the following - fast growing and lower maintenance than Leylandii.

- Griselinia littoralis
- Viburnum tinus (Laurustinus) Hedge - fast growing and slows later, flowers in
winter.
- Laurel,,,would need to watch in case some twitty child ate the berries though.
- Pittosporum
- If you want a conifer look then Western Red Cedar is less trouble than Leylandii.
- Beech although it's actually deciduous has leaves all year because the copper
autumnal leaves stay on till they're pushed off by the new leaves...good if you
decide to use on it's own or if you go with a variegated hedge as LL said.
- Yew...slower growing but once it has got to height not so difficult to keep in
check.

Depends on the size of your garden, where the sun is at different times of the day, your soil type etc. Hubby suggested you talk to a local arborist who really likes cutting hedges (he won't do them...hates them!) and ask them what they think anyone qualified will be able to advise you of type and planting plans...reckons most will give you a free quote and if they won't they're not worth using...his words not mine!
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Manda, agree with your hubby on most of these- western red ceder ( thuya ) is brilliant and smells lovely, almost as fast as leylandii but more easily kept in bounds. Unless in a sheltered coastal district grisellinia and pittosporum might be a bit tender for a hedge in the uk.

If you have the space then I would plant some small trees further into the garden they give instant height to block views and if you plant them in away from the hedge line give a softer screen than a solid line.

Good deciduous hedging would be beech and hornbeam.
A good evergreen is portugal laurel.

I would definately avoid leylandii and the golden leylandii as that is plagued with aphid which cause unsightly dieback.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

I planted a beech hedge at the bottom of my garden as there are some buildings across the lane which are not that pretty to look at .. I have to say it is beautiful ..I bought container grown 8' high trees and planted 18'' apart .. 3 years on and it has done the job and has reached 15' and, as Manda said, even though the leaves turn golden brown in winter, they stay on till the new leaves come through )t'

Lots of info here .. http://www.hedgesonline.com/index.php/...
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Thank you all for the advice, I will try to post pics then it may be easier to help me decide )t'
[center][/center]Davina