Over Pricing at garden centre

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Over Pricing at garden centre

Post by albertajune »

Me and OH have just been browsing around 2 large garden centres and I can't believe what is charged for some plants.
Looking at veg in pots was amazed to see 10 carrots in a pot for £3.49, tomato plants £3.79 each, chilli pepper plant £6.99 and to top it all 1 potato plant in a 10 in pot £4.99.
People must buy them or they wouldn't be there for sale. They must be absolutely potty. >dum<
I'm still in a state of amazement.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Over Pricing at garden centre

Post by lancashire lass »

I remember seeing a DIY store selling garden plants spring last year and I too was shocked at the prices, but more so at the carrots - some poor gullible person will buy them to plant out and wonder why they have a crows nest for carrots when it comes for harvesting!
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

It really is madness when you consider the price of a packet of seeds , can people really be that lazy?

{warn}
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

I went to our local garden centre today as I wanted to get some wallflowers started as my store seeds had dried up. Couldn't believe it 1 packet of mixed wallflower seeds €2.99. I phoned my daughter in UK and shes got some from Wilko 45p. Even postage on top of that doesn't add up to that.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Wilko seeds are such good value compared to the 'names', and they sometimes have a 'buy 3 get the cheapest free' offer.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Sara

Post by Sara »

Well , we went to the garden centre local to where i used to live in england the last time we came over and i must admit that we didnt look at the price of veg plants, but we were very surprised at the price of flowers such as roses, trees, and other bush type flowers..... They were so cheap compared to here :?
I also found that the non plant things, like garden tools, and homeware and books at bits and pieces were at least a third cheaper than here in france even taking into account the exchange rate etc.... There is a particular range of garden tools, called ( i think) wolff.... they were over half the price in the uk than for exactly the same tools here. :?

I admit that ive never bought veggies as a plant, i have always used seeds... if it doesnt come up then i dont grow it ..... but again, i buy all my seeds for the year in wilkos and will only buy maybe a couple of packets of seeds here as a top up.... Much cheaper that way. )t'
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

I know how you feel Sara. Just yesterday whilst we was in the garden centre and OH picked up a book on greenhouse expert. It said on the back UK £6.99 EU €9.99. Thats a hell of an exchange rate. What we do is on our visits to UK we stock up especially on seeds. We bought a load of runner beans at Wilks for 49p a packet. They were €4.99 a packet here. What really annoys me is the terrible price rise and the company are the same Arga and Q + B being the worst culprits. We bought a petrol lawn mower at ArgaUK and we saved £100 and its the same company
Sara

Post by Sara »

Thats what we do too Maggie, but not just on garden things, also on things like tinned food and cleaning products and homeware and all the bits that we think we will need for the next 6 months..... If i manage to break something ( a daily occurance) i make a note of it and if it isnt vital we wait until our next uk trip to replace it. )t'

Definitly buy 90% of my seeds in the uk. )t'
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Feel quite proud of my little self. If you remember my daughter got me some wallflower seeds in July from Wilko for 45p (buy 2 and get 3rd free deal) so in theory they were less than 45p, because getting them here was nearly €3 a packet. For 45p I have just pricked out 380 wallflowers :-D
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

)t' :-D
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
wendy

Post by wendy »

Not in a shop or anything.
But today we were out and someone was selling eggs at the gate

6 eggs for £1.80 yike*
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Down the road here over the gate is €1.50 half doz. But have seen them dearer.
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4 french hens »

Hi Sara, when I lived over in France I found the cheapest place for seeds was in Li*l, there's one in Ruffec and Civray, and L'Clerc, especially for harricot vert.

Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

I love harricot, sauteed in butter... )eat(