garden maintenance

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
baileysgnasha
Legendary Laner

Re: garden maintenance

Post by baileysgnasha »

Well it looks good to me , But then given the state of my garden any garden looks good. But well done on all your hard work you must be gleeming with joy to be done! )t'
Andrea- Sunny Clucker fan awaiting her arrival in Kettering,Northamptonshire.
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Ruth !! )b( You have done an amazing job.Nothing so satisfying )t'
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Thanks Peeps, it does feel good to get it looking tidy again. Even my son didnt recognise the photos of the area, it has been covered in weeds so long!

Anyway, the next part of the project takes me into the area of the garden next to the one I have been working on so far. Again, it has been neglected, but worse than the other pics you have seen. I am almost too embarassed to post the pics, but have decided to do so, because it has really helped having you all scrutinising what I'm up to. If I didnt make an effort to do the work, I would have to go hide away and never come on here again!

Right then, I wont be able to do anything to all this until I get back from Scotland. but have taken the pics now so you can see what I have to tackle when I return.

We have a garage that stands just outside the graden wall; the end wall of the garage is in fact the garden wall and is behinmd the buildings that you will see in a minute. These buildings are attached to the side of the garage (it used to be a barn or something i think).

So here goes:
The chicken house:
This was burnt down by local youths who were sheltering in there one cold wet evening. They had broken in to be inside in the first place and they were smoking (probably something illegal!) I dont think they intended to set fire to it, but a spark or something and the whole place went up. If it hadnt been for a neighbour putting his grandchildren to bed, we wouldnt have known, as their bedroom overlooks our back garden.

The greenhouse:
The light green plant growing out of the top of the greenhouse is in fact a grape vine. There are no grapes on it, but there will be next year after I cut it back severely. They do like a serious trim!

The summerhouse:
This is a wooden structure that has collapsed. The intention is to use the roof beams that are still usable to reroof the chicken house and rebuild the summerhouse. I have permission to build in brick if we want to. It is going to be a DIY job whether we do it in brick or wood.

The 'patio':
This area is at the end of the path on the north side of the house. It is brick paved and we intend to build a permanent BBQ on it and replace the gate (that you cant see for the weeds!)

One bit at a time - little by little - and the area should be usable soon, we hope!
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

It's an exciting project )t'
baileysgnasha
Legendary Laner

Post by baileysgnasha »

You certainly have your hand full there, But you have the right attitude for getting the job done Ruth ...Little and often! ....You will get there in the end I know it , You have done an amazing job so far lets hope it wont be long before your sat out with a drink enjoying your garden. )t'
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

When I get to that point BG, I want you and all the Laners to come to celebrate with me {hug}
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
baileysgnasha
Legendary Laner

Post by baileysgnasha »

That would be a pure honour. And I will bring a bottle or cakes or both. )t'
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

)t'
Chris xx

mabel88
Lively Laner

Post by mabel88 »

ruth when you are ready ill bring my spade hope you have plenty ibuprofen :-D :-D
i was born bald and my mother loves Me 50 yrs later nothing's changed
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

By the time we have the party, the hard work should all be done!
Chris xx

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Your garden certainly has character.
How big is it, and how old is the house?
Not one of these housing estates put up in the last 50 years I'd guess.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

How great to have the opportunity to restore somthing with such potential!!!!!You will be spoilt for choice between all the lovley areas you have uncovered as to where to drink your G&T :-D Good luck (,its great for spleen venting )t' )
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Mo wrote:Your garden certainly has character.
How big is it, and how old is the house?
Not one of these housing estates put up in the last 50 years I'd guess.

The house was built in 1902 and was the first to go up in the village. It was built for the manager of the local mine (not no longer in existence); people often ask me if it was a vicarage, so that tells you the sort of house it is.

The garden is 3/4 acre in total. It wraps around three sides of the house, then if you go through a gate in the wall (or one of two gates in fact) you go into the veg-plot-to-be, which is to the far side of the garage from the house. The garage stands just outside the garden wall (but still within our property boundaries) and we think it used to be an old barn. The first owners certainly had a horse (we have a photo to prove it!) and there is a hay loading bay to the upstairs of the building. If you stand looking at the garage, the house is to the right behind a high (6') garden wall and the veg-plot-to-be is to the left, with a connecting part of the plot behind the garage that joins the veg area with the main garden. If I can figure out how, I will post a g00glemaps pic.

Meanwhile, this is the front lawn (house to the right):

And this is the garden where you come in through the gate to get to the front door (the house stands with its back to the drive, so you come in down the side and have to walk round the hosue to the front door):
Chris xx

baileysgnasha
Legendary Laner

Post by baileysgnasha »

You have lovely sized gardens there Ruth. )t'
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Hope this works!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

The 'A' is on the house roof. The garden is all the bits that look like they are covered in bushes, in front of the house and also behind the houses next door. The seven cars (dont ask!) are in front of the garage. The tennis court is in the recreation ground next door and is on the boundary of our garden.
Chris xx