Rotavator Nr Northants

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
baileysgnasha
Legendary Laner

Rotavator Nr Northants

Post by baileysgnasha »

Hi all,

Anyone local have a Rotavator they have that they would lend me for a short period of time so I can try get my back garden sorted for the Spring/summer, I know its a long shot but Ive had a look on ebay and nothing going cheap locally... Worth asking hey!
Andrea- Sunny Clucker fan awaiting her arrival in Kettering,Northamptonshire.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Rotavator Nr Northants

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Another option is Hiring one from somewhere like this http://home.btconnect.com/ketteringhire ... pment.html prices don't seem too bad.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

When we hired one to do our back garden, we collected it on the Friday evening, and returned it on the Monday, but were only charged for Saturday - it's hard going if you're not used to it though (and highly entertaining for the neighbours {rofwl} )
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
baileysgnasha
Legendary Laner

Post by baileysgnasha »

We thought of hiring one but hubby said he would prefer to either throw someone who has one some cash, or buy one second hand from ebay and sell it once we done with it. Just I said to him its worth asking on here first before spending loads of money buying one. Got a few in our ebay watch list at moment that are reasonably cheap and their would be no rush having to hand it back unlike hiring one , Also with hubbys bad back he may take abit of time doing the job and hiring from an outlet could end up costing a fair bit if we need it abit longer.

LBF- Seems your hiring costs was lucky then , and now Im worried about the entertaining the neighbours bit haha
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

In my experience, most hire firms dont charge for the Sunday because you cant return it then even if you want to. They tend to be shut on Sundays. Well, that's how they operate round here anyway.
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

I 've been trying to sell my powerful electric one on gumtree for a couple of weeks. Fed up with timewasters. I hardly used it as I downsized on my veg areas and built a raised one so not needed.
They are brilliant for a bigger area. My neighbour uses one all the time. They do run away with you though.....
baileysgnasha
Legendary Laner

Post by baileysgnasha »

Shame your not closer Granny!!
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Yes it is an hour each way...
baileysgnasha
Legendary Laner

Post by baileysgnasha »

Out of curiosity how much are you looking for ?
baileysgnasha
Legendary Laner

Post by baileysgnasha »

Grrrr... missed a bargain on ebay as was out this evening and added it to watch list and forgot about it!!! {mr.angry} )de:
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

baileysgnasha wrote:Out of curiosity how much are you looking for ?

£30....it is a bargain.
baileysgnasha
Legendary Laner

Post by baileysgnasha »

I have pm`d you )t'
Betty
Lively Laner

Post by Betty »

Rotavators!! Wonderful things. We had one, but for some reason it was called a Cultivator. Out it would come every Spring and my father would tinker with it for a week or so. (He was a very good tinkerer and also a good mechanic). It would finally start, and roar off up a row of the veg bed. And stop. More tinkering and a little cursing later, and another row would be done and so on. By this time, my mother and I would have dug three rows - each.
But that was then and this is now and I am sure they have advanced a little. When they work they are brilliant, but when they don't........................ }hairout{
baileysgnasha
Legendary Laner

Post by baileysgnasha »

That sounds fun Betty lol, My other half is on look out for a fairly powerful petrol one as our ground is quite hard and some of it is clay! I have dug over with a space various parts over the years but now want the lot doing so we can level and grass seed it but finding a local one is hard work and the only local ones are £300-£400 for most working ones.
Think if it comes to it we will have to just hire one and have it done in a day or two or unless we hire for the week, Totally scrambled posted a reasonably priced hire place local to us above.
If that fails or we dont go that route then back out comes the spade and rake and that only spells ..BLISTERS! }hairout{
baileysgnasha
Legendary Laner

Post by baileysgnasha »

Just won a small honda petrol powered rotavator on ebay for £120 , got to go Nottingham to pick it so another £20 or so fuel but at least we got one. Then its start the job and garden project :-D