Gladioli

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Gladioli

Post by Annie »

I was given a bag of gladioli corms yesterday by an elderly gentleman who is taking a back seat in his garden this year. They look healthy enough and already have shoots appearing some of which are already about an inch long, now its too cold and we still get a bit of frost overnight up here so I can't plant them as yet. Do you think they will be ok in a deep tray of compost in my unheated greenhouse until the time is right for planting out as I have no space in my little room where I am growing on the seedling veg and flowers ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Maggie1

Re: Gladioli

Post by Maggie1 »

I'm chancing by planting mine outside but quite deep. The only advise I can give Annie is to pot them up covering the shoot.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Ok Maggie,thanks, they aren't my favourite flower as they always look so regimented but I do admire the blooms and I didn't want to look this particular gift horse in the mouth . Actually if my friends son does dig the veg patch I think I may put them there, then they will not look ut of place in straight lines )t'
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Annie I plant mine in circles of about 6-8. They don't look quite so regimental than in lines.
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

the veg patch I think I may put them there, then they will not look ut of place in straight lines

Oh that reminds me of when I was a girl. Dad was head gardener and part of the walled kitchen garden was planted with cut flowers. Sweet peas for showing, glads, dahlias, chrysanths etc. A big area. We used to go and help him with the watering and the sideshooting and picking. Great armfulls of flowers. The big house had a flower room. Like a utility room but just full of vases and sinks etc for "doing" the flowers.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!