ash pit

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

ash pit

Post by bmpsands »

Just got the keys to the house with a small wilderness attached. There had been a lot of rubbish in the garden and it seems that the previous owner piled all that, plus household detritus plus BOOKS!!!!!!! (sorry to shout) into a big heap and set fire to it. We now have a hollow area about 5ft x 5ft which is full of ash and left over bits of unburnt metal.

What, if anything, should we do to it? Friend says dig it in and grow carrots. OH's back says digging not an option without mechanical assistance.

Advice please? We've never had a big garden before and certainly never one in this kind of state.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
vegalot
Lively Laner

Re: ash pit

Post by vegalot »

If it was just ash from clean timber, I would say dig it in, but if it has had treated timber, plastic etc. in it, then I would dig it all out and dispose of it, the chemicals in the ash may be toxic.
If a man is alone in the garden and speaks, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?