Roofing for Run

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
jackieb
Lively Laner

Roofing for Run

Post by jackieb »

We have ordered everything for the new run but now need to consider roofing materials. We are looking at corrugated plastic and we know we will have to provide some shade inside the run on sunny days, although the run is under some huge leylandi trees. We know you can get some ridge fillers for where the plastic in fixed to the wooden frame but this all adds to the cost, is there any real possibility of rats or mice getting in under the corrugated or can someone offer some solution to stop this if possible.

Hope you know what I mean as I'm not very good at explaining!

madmum
Legendary Laner

Re: Roofing for Run

Post by madmum »

Hi there jackieb :razz: The trouble with plastic roofing is not only can beasties get in under it but it can act a little like a greenhouse in the summer,my mother -in-law has a car port type structure with this as a roof and it does seem to be quite a suntrap, :?
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
itsmeonhen
Lively Laner

Post by itsmeonhen »

How about some very cheap netting if your bothered about pigeons etc getting in? I personally havent bothered about any roof and have as yet to find a problem.
10 ex-bats rehomed and lovin it..... Another 10 to come and they'll be lovin it tooooo.
jackieb
Lively Laner

Post by jackieb »

OK, I think we've decided on chicken wire over the top with plastic corrugated sheeting fixed over that. We don't think heat will be a problem as it will have 4 open sides on the run and we will provide areas of shade within the run as well for hot sunny days (if we ever get any)!

We want a roof on to stop me getting a soaking everytime it rains and I need to poo pick or when I clean the house out each morning. It will also mean I can use auboise or hemcore on the floor of the run.

Unless anyone here knows differently of course!
plopcar
Longlasting Laner

Post by plopcar »

I am going for the same on my run roof as it is fine in the summer but I don't want to get drenched every time I go to clean in the winter. My run is very sheltered with lots of overhanging trees so I'm more worried it's going to be dark and dingy in there. With a solid room I would get no sunlight at all in there plus it is a lot more expensive. My roof is going to be 8ft decending to 6ft so I'm not too worried about the gaps.
Keeper (slave) and feeder to 3 small humans, 1 Jack Russell, 1 elderly cat, 2 goldfish, 5 fat hens and 6 little chicks.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I have a tarpulin that I pull over in the bad weather, all the time in the winter, and pull back in the nice weather.
Plastic can get very warm in the hot weather even with shade inside the run. Unless it is trees on the outside that stop the diect sunlight
Wendy

Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
FCWG
Learner Laner

Post by FCWG »

The roof of my run is the made up the same way as the walls - weldmesh on a wooden frame. For cover, we've got a couple of plastic tarpaulin type things about the size of the back of a pick-up which fit just nicely over the top of the run. Picked them up from a boot sale for a pound a piece which makes them the cheapest part of the palace so far :-D As Mrs Me has said several times, these will be preeeety expensive eggs... :shock:
"Insert witty comment here..."

http://fcwg.fotopic.net/c1766825.html to see my girls
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

We used the corrugated bitumen sheets, like these.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Bitumen-Corruga ... nvt/240059
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
Popalops
Lively Laner

Post by Popalops »

Rats and mice will get in no matter what you do, a mouse cam squeeze through a gap of just a quarter of an inch, I have watched a mouse run under the door to my hen house without even slowing down, the gap is barely enough to shut the door without scraping. A rat can chew through concrete.

Tony
Great Spirit, help me never to judge another until I have walked in his moccasins.
Sioux Indian Prayer
Many Many chooks (too many to list)
1 Collie. 2 Jack Russell's. & My Lovely Wife ......
k66yla
Lively Laner

Post by k66yla »

I've got a gazebo over the run to stop me getting wet and on the occasional time its sunny the girls have some shade. Where I live it gets quite windy but the gazebo has stood up to it well and I stay dry )t'
LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Post by LynneP »

We used clear vinyl with the corrugated fillers to predator proof and it's working well. The little plastic filler come in a huge box and end up being about a pound in your money, two feet long. They work really well and you can use as many of the special screws/washers as you wish.

You can also buy opaque panels to offer shade. Since we are on a north-west corner we made everything clear, because we have shade all day, and a platform outside the pop door to offer more shade.

Details here (please scroll)-

http://www.backyardchickens.com/web/vie ... ynnePs_Run"
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.
~Emily Dickinson

http://goldenhillsfarm.blogspot.com/201 ... -farm.html