Who lays the tastiest eggs?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
JD1970
Lively Laner

Who lays the tastiest eggs?

Post by JD1970 »

A lot of information mentions the numebr of eggs laid by the various different breeds, but we all know that quality is better than quantity. So, in your opinion, what breed lays the tastiest eggs?

foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Re: Who lays the tastiest eggs?

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

I agre with Jen, diet and lifestyle.
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

All I know is I can eat the eggs that I get from my Daughter's chickens without ending up in awful pain and they taste great.
Popalops
Lively Laner

Post by Popalops »

For really dark yellow yolks and creamy eggs, there are 3 main factors. Number 1. Free range, not what is accepted as free range, real free range. 2.Mixed corn, every day. 3. Grass, this comes in with the real free range. All hens eggs taste similar when fed the same feed.I have I have several breeds, Bantams , blue egg layers white egg layers and some French Marans laying almost chestnut eggs, once out the shell I cant tell the difference, only those in the breeding pens, the yolks are not as deep a yellow. All are fed the same diet. Layers pellets or growers pellets on demand and Mixed corn evenings.

Tony
Great Spirit, help me never to judge another until I have walked in his moccasins.
Sioux Indian Prayer
Many Many chooks (too many to list)
1 Collie. 2 Jack Russell's. & My Lovely Wife ......
LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Post by LynneP »

Tony, when you say corn do mean what we call wheat? Or maize?
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.
~Emily Dickinson

http://goldenhillsfarm.blogspot.com/201 ... -farm.html
Popalops
Lively Laner

Post by Popalops »

Mixed Scottish Grain is the name on the bag, it contains wheat and maze.

Tony
Great Spirit, help me never to judge another until I have walked in his moccasins.
Sioux Indian Prayer
Many Many chooks (too many to list)
1 Collie. 2 Jack Russell's. & My Lovely Wife ......
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

I think they put something into the feed of even the free range ones in the supermarks. A friend up the lane has different chickens to my Daughter but her eggs are lovely, beautiful colour and most important, pain free. I know these chickens are fed basic layer pellets, corn, grass from time to time and scraps.
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

I got two new girls recently from a very reuputable place. They came into lay almost straight away. I took the first eggs they laid into work and we cooked them to compare them with my existing girls` eggs. The difference in yolk colour and taste was incredible, the new girls` laid eggs with very pale yolks, and not half as tasty.

After 4 weeks here there is now no difference at all. This must be down to diet, environment and general happiness, I guess.
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
JD1970
Lively Laner

Post by JD1970 »

Interesting. Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm new to keeping chickens - first egg was laid less than a week ago.
I new diet influenced yolk colour, but didn't realise how much it affected taste, really though that breed had something to do with it.
OK then, new question. What food gives the best flavour? I know many of your responses have already indicated this, but the more the merrier!