I did it! New run is finally finished!!!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

I did it! New run is finally finished!!!

Post by redd_angel55 »

I can't believe I managed to build a run for my chooks )c(
After painfully high quotes, ridiciously high shop prices, I decided to do it myself. Cost £164, that includes £40 for a staple gun.The same size run in a local country store £395!
http://www.widmer.co.uk/index.php?main_ ... ucts_id=32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is what I did, base is all slabbed, run size 12'x 8', wire all around. For now it has a Tarp roof. Will in future put a corrugated roof on.
New run 001.jpg
New run 001.jpg (49.93 KiB) Viewed 983 times
I put an additional pop hole in the end panell.
New run 002.jpg
New run 002.jpg (49.05 KiB) Viewed 982 times

New run 003.jpg
New run 003.jpg (48.72 KiB) Viewed 982 times
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks

chickenlicken
Lively Laner

Re: I did it! New run is finally finished!!!

Post by chickenlicken »

Well done you! It looks very impressive. Maybe you have found your true calling! LOL.
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

That looks really good, well done )t'

You get a great sense of pride after building stuff like that.
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
Dinchy
Legendary Laner

Post by Dinchy »

That looks fantastic )t' It never ceases to amaze me how much some places charge for things. You have certainly saved yourself a fair amount there. Well done )c(
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

Thank you!
The girls don't seem to appriciate it though. They have been so noisy since I've put them in the run a couple of hours ago.
They are used to roaming freely all day, but we got woken up by our local fox family over the last few nights and I was worried about them. So they are staying in for now. I feel terrible locking them in and I guess I'll have to get used to it just as much as they do :?
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x

LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Post by LynneP »

What a lovely job you have done! I agree about roofing it, we put clear vinyl panels over ours and predator-proofed it. We live by the boreal forest with weasels, raccoons, bobcats, eastern cougars, bears, coyotes and foxes, etc. We can't even *think* about ranging the birds so I bring them great stuff from the garden.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.
~Emily Dickinson

http://goldenhillsfarm.blogspot.com/201 ... -farm.html
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

[quote="LynneP".....with weasels, raccoons, bobcats, eastern cougars, bears, coyotes and foxes.... [/quote]
yike* yike* yike* And we just worry about foxes!!! LOL

By the way, the girls won! They are out in the garden for an hour before bed. These little madams have me wrapped around their little finger (toe, claw?)

ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Post by ma larkin »

It looks fantastic! Well done you!! I must say, when my ex put the extention on ours, they REFUSED to use it for at least two weeks!! They love it now!
manda

Post by manda »

Redd that looks fantastic..well done )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Really great, well done! That must have been a lot of work for you,
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
sebrah
Lively Laner

Post by sebrah »

Redd, can you come and finish mine?? Brilliant job! )t'
6 gorgeous ex-bat girlies!, 2 Little Boys, Fabulously Patient Hubby, keen ex-racing Greyhound, volunteer for the RGT and a project constantly on the go!!
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Great job 8)
livvylang
Lively Laner

Post by livvylang »

when I see things like this...I do wonder about getting about and finding myself a new man!!! lol are you single..lol.
My run has been made by my fair hands..its been hard work.its not brilliant but its not bad either I want to load a pic but dont know how to? I had to go out yesterday and buy a giant tarp to put over it because the rain is a nightmare, the ground is terrible and I have been worried about the girls. they are on Baytril at the mo as Connie has an infection..well enough in herself but something respiritory going on..she's sneezing!
Great job on your run...looks very secure..but they will be pacing for the green stuff on the otherside lol!!! :-D
you know who I mean..the crazy lady next door..laughs to herself and keeps chickens!!
livvylang
Lively Laner

Post by livvylang »

lol..i see you are female..well i need the male version..lol
good on you you did a fantastic job there! I give my daughter a hard time when she says she can't hang a shelf..I've been round there with the drill spirit level and taught her now..she gets a bit anxious about the driling bit..lol I shall show her what you have built..she will be very impressed
you know who I mean..the crazy lady next door..laughs to herself and keeps chickens!!
greyparrot
Lively Laner

Post by greyparrot »

Cracking job, I am very impressed! I have just finished building my girls run extension and I lost much blood, and swore a lot!

Mine are a bit wary of using it, but are getting there, I reckon chickens are like parrots and don't welcome change at first!