Problem Chicken

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
ihatejacknjills
Lively Laner

Problem Chicken

Post by ihatejacknjills »

One of my chickens is a right pain - all of the others are quiet and easy but she has decided that she wants to make a lot of noise every morning between 5:30 and 6:00. I don't really know why she is making such a racket but it is driving me nuts - and if it is waking me up then it is probably waking the neighbours up.

Any ideas why she could be making this noise? She is at the top of the pecking order, and is generally a bit moody. I am seriously starting to think that I will have to get rid of her, because if my neighbours complain then I could end up having to get rid of all of them...

wendy

Re: Problem Chicken

Post by wendy »

I really don't know .
But I wouldn't let them out so early, if she is creating a noise. Last thing you want to do is annoy the neighbours. They will take a noise at 8.30am but haven't any humour when it happens at 5.30am.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

Do you leave the pop hole open all the time? If so, I agree with Wendy, shut them in til later. If you already shut them in, then sorry, I've got no idea why she is making so much noise confused>
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks
4c lady
Legendary Laner

Post by 4c lady »

Ive got a noisy girl too but I let them out at about 7.00 in the mornings and around 8.00 am at the weekends. If she is being particulary bad I pick her up and carry her around with me and she soon shuts up. I think its because im in the garden cleaning and feeding etc with them coz once ive gone in the house she quietens down. I would suggest if possible let them out later in the morning as week days most people will be getting up for work/school around 7.
julieandgiuse
Learner Laner

Post by julieandgiuse »

mine aren't too bad, but like 4cLady, they make more noise as soon as i appear or if im in the garden doing something.
iv discovered, that if i just go shhh, quite firmly, they instantly shut up!!
sounds abit too easy, and i dont know how long it will continue to work, but worth a try if you havent already?
julie
The probability of someone watching you, is proportional to the stupidity of your action!
rubyhen
Lively Laner

Post by rubyhen »

I have a similar problem sometimes and worry about the neighbours. We have darkened the hut so they think its not time to get up but still about 10 mind before the door opens (6.30am) they make noise which I can hear from my bed and so prob the neighbours too.

I have also found the shhhuuuushhh! to work as well as picking up and walking round.

Mr Ruby hen recons I'm too worried about the neighbours as he sleeps through it.

Ruby
5 hens: Keira, Dot, Beryl, Kylie and Magda.
RIP: Ruby, Ginger, Tilly, Meg and Phyllis.
LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Post by LynneP »

I have one too (Dorothy aka 'Doe' or Dodo) and she is nearly as loud as a rooster. She is also the alarm hen and will call out at any perceived danger- dog on a leash, hawk two miles away, cat walking past the run...we're deep in the country though...maybe offer your neighbor a few eggs? )ro(
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.
~Emily Dickinson

http://goldenhillsfarm.blogspot.com/201 ... -farm.html
ihatejacknjills
Lively Laner

Post by ihatejacknjills »

I have an automatic pop-hole opener which is why they get out so early - to be honest I hate to lock them in the coop because they have a problem with mites at the moment and I don't want to trap them in with the mites.

I could get a timer so that the door opens later but I think it is quite expensive.