i am the egg barron

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
monkey_biz
Lively Laner

i am the egg barron

Post by monkey_biz »

hello every one, not been on for a looooong time due to a bout of depression and associated stress but feeling a lot better now...... well im getting there anyway :-D

so, last year my ex batts were so erratic at laying eggs i thought id never be an egg barron, but now...... 24-28 eggs every week from my 5 ex batts
we give 99% away as we are now sick of eggs :oops: i mean you can only so many 4 egg omelets {rofwl}

so from now on id like to be know as THE egg barron

on another note 4 of my chooks are looking really really scruffy but the cluxtinator has really bloomed into a stunning hen, a reall ugly duckling story whereas the rest seem to have done the reverse. any idea??? all eating well and laying normally though henrietta seems to have a red bum but ive checked everything and she is the only one
Being diagnosed with Aspergers at 44 doesnt mean i now have a lable to be used against me it means i am fully in control and a lot more intelligent than i look!

little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Re: i am the egg barron

Post by little brown hen »

Hi Monkey-biz, The Egg Baron. )b( Welcome back, Im glad to hear you're feeling lots better.
Your girls scruffy state could be due to moulting. Some of mine are still shedding feathers and look patchy, also their egg laying is a bit sporadic , though thats improving with the arrival of the sun.
The Cluxinator sounds beautiful, can you post some photos? :-D
Mum to Sox and Boo,and hens, Bramble,
Belle,Bourbon,Holly,Ivy, May and June
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.
monkey_biz
Lively Laner

Post by monkey_biz »

the depression comes and goes after 20 years of suffering from PTSD (5 times decorated ex serviceman of 1 war and 2 conflicts/ peacekeeping forces and then left to deal with it with no help)

ok after running around like a nutter trying to get pictures here they are.

clux

when we got clux she was nearly bald and in quite a poor state and in the past 6 weeks, nearly 8 months since getting them, she has really bloomed and become quite light in colour instead of the red she was
Being diagnosed with Aspergers at 44 doesnt mean i now have a lable to be used against me it means i am fully in control and a lot more intelligent than i look!
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Welcome back Baron and much RESPECT )b( )b(

They may be moulting, but have you checked for lice and feather mites.

The red ass needs cam cream, sudo cream, purple - anything to disguise the red.
Are you sure it ain't a prolapse?
monkey_biz
Lively Laner

Post by monkey_biz »

no mites or anything, its just a bit red :?
its more lack of "undercarriage" feathers than anything
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Welcome back, glad to hear you are feeling better. I think your girls are in a slow moult, up the protien,(mealworms) and give some poultry spice, the will soon grow back their feathers, and look Gorgeous again )t' 3 of mine looked like that 6 weeks ago, (you can tell by the tail feathers in your pic) now they are fully feathered up again )t'
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
perchy

Post by perchy »

Dear Egg Baron )b(

Have you thought about pickling any eggs? I did and do when I have spare )t'
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Pickled eggs? {warn}

Dear Egg Baron,

Have you thought about making lots of cakes? That's what I do when I have lots of eggs. )grin2(

Glad to hear you are feeling brighter. {hug}

Re moulting. I had one chook who appeared to be moulting for 9 months - I doused with louse powder and now she is fully feathered. I have never seen lice on my chooks - only when one had died a few months back, and I check regularly. >coc<
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Shazaro
Lively Laner

Post by Shazaro »

Hi have you thought about selling your spare eggs, I have just started putting some at the end of the drive, (bought some eggs boxes) and so far have sold 6 dozen eggs, going to put the money towards the girls food. :-D :-D
Mum to three boys (34, 30 & 27), one husband Terry, two English Springer Spaniels (one girl Dizzy and one boy D'Fa) and of course my eleven girls. Love them all !!!!!!
monkey_biz
Lively Laner

Post by monkey_biz »

i just give the eggs away to family and friends though some have repaid me with bags of food so i suppose they are quite self sufficient. i think ill try the meal worms though they take my fingers off every day with thier treat of grapes, they go mad for them.
ive doused them for mite and so far nothing so i think it may just be the slow moult. clux was virtually featherless when we got her but the rest were well feathered now its the other way round just poor henrietta with her red bum though she is the only one that doesnt perch and just sits on the floor of the house so that may be the reason as well.

and i do really feel like an egg baron {rofwl} , everyone is now my friend {rofwl}
little brown hen
Legendary Laner

Post by little brown hen »

Beautiful girls Egg Baron, Thank you for posting the pictures. )t'
Mum to Sox and Boo,and hens, Bramble,
Belle,Bourbon,Holly,Ivy, May and June
RIP Daisy my cat,and Spice, Clara, Alice, Biscuit, Cookie Clarice and Henrietta. Over rainbow bridge, but never forgotten.
janepick
Legendary Laner

Post by janepick »

Hi Egg Barron
With 24-28 eggs a week, you are obviously providing the well for your girls and are great hen Dad. Aren't they great therapy! )w(
Jane x
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Well mister egg barron I would like to challenge you on your egg count. I get between 20 and 24 PER DAY.
However, the fact you are a serviceman decorated and all I tip my cap to you and shall not challange your title.
You have my utmost respect your barren ness.
Al. )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
monkey_biz
Lively Laner

Post by monkey_biz »

al, i have only 5 chooks and all ex batts and i think they do a marvelous job of supply me with so many little presents :-D
the average about 4 a day with the very occasional day of just 2. as for the therapy yes they are in my worste state all i cared about was them, they just kept me going till some tablets the doctor gave me kicked in.
to raward them tey are getting a new coop and run built the next few weeks
perchy

Post by perchy »

They are great therapy I agree )t'

envy}} new coop and run (that is probably showing off now) {rofwl}