How did you decide on chicken names

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
jamieromfordmiller
Learner Laner

Re: How did you decide on chicken names

Post by jamieromfordmiller »

Popstars,

Britney - The bald one
Beyonce - The Diva
Pink - A bit loud and stroppy
Cheryl Cole - A bit loud and stroppy

All ex-bats all suit their names.

madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

My posh girls all had traditional chook names;Hetty ,harriet,mavis,margot,gloria and gladys. The first ex batts were named after supermodels;Naomi,claudia and caprice. Since then we have Napoleon(because he has the complex!)Mrs fluffy knickers(for obvious reasons)Mrs speckledy,darcy(because she bustles!)Davina,Grace,Lucinda,Latifa(as in queen)and Milicent.I find it a bit like naming a child,you have to get to know them first!! :oops:
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

wendy wrote:Mine are named after friends. I have had 19 hens and another 4 coming soon and haven't run out yet. Which surprises me as well.
That is fine until one dies and I tell another friend " Brenda died today" and they nearly have a fit....NOT Brenda !!!! then I have to explain it is hen Brenda.
But my friends take it all in good part and I give the a photo of their Hen Featherless and then completely well. They are always asking after them.
Wendy

Awww that's so lovely Wendy {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Loving reading all your name stories )t' :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Here's our story.....

We got our original three girls for our second wedding anniversary and as cotton is traditional for your 2nd year, we decided upon Cottie, then Dottie and Lottie rhymed nicely with that.

Very sadly we lost Lottie and then Cottie too in a short space of time {cry}

We went to get two new friends for Dottie and decided upon Hilda and Elsie in the car on the way home.... as in Hilda Ogden (our Ginger girl) and Elsie Tanner (our stripey girl) from Coronation Street.

I'd love more girls for sure and maybe one day I'll be able to persuade hubbly to let us have some ex batties :-D
Bev x

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

First 3 were 2 Black Rocks and a White Star
So they were Peggy and Nancy (Blackett), and Susan. From the Swallows and Amazon books.

Added a Rhode Island hybrid that looked like Rosie in the picture-book Rosies Walk (I love the way she frustrates that fox). The other 2 were maran crosses Mary-Ann (aka Goldie because she was beige/golden) and Mary-Jane (aka Jane), she was grey like Lady Jane Grey.

The next 4 were named after folk tunes. I called the first Maggie because she reminded me of a friend, then daughter said if one was a tune we should have Nancy and Bonnie Cate too. I'd already had a Nancy, so they became Bonny, Kate, and White Nancy (which is also a monument on the penines near Macclesfield.

Then 3 more Black Rocks. One had a lot of Ginger feathers, so they were called after the William books Wilhemina (always called William), Henrietta (after Henry, not after hen) and Ginger. No Douglas, we only had 3; anyway it's a boy's name.

The newest 3 are Clara, Harriet and Esmeralda. Black Rocks with differing amounts of ginger on their necks Clara, a cloak, Hatty, half , Esmeralda not much (I just fancied the name).

As you can see I go in for convoluted reasoning in naming them.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
monkey_biz
Lively Laner

Post by monkey_biz »

5 ex batts

mine is HENrietta
wifes is Esmerelda
daughters is hayley
out poorly ex batt (now back to full health) is ginger from chicken run

and finally my 7 year old sons................. well its The Cluxtinator {rofwl}
Being diagnosed with Aspergers at 44 doesnt mean i now have a lable to be used against me it means i am fully in control and a lot more intelligent than i look!
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

There are six in our family so we each chose a name.............sort of.
There are Wilma and Betty and then there was Atilla, sadly dispatched by a fox and my son chose Ham Eggs and Chips. Unfortunately Eggs is no longer with us for the same reason.
My mum is buying me some chickens for my Birthday and so there will be 4 more soon. The neighbours children aged 7 and 5 will name 2 and they have chosen Millie for one of them. Not sure what we will come up with for the rest. :-D
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
juluxe
Learner Laner

Post by juluxe »

Hi, Im new to this too. Had my chickens 3 weeks now and love them to peices, would recommend them as pets to anyone, think my work is fed up of me talking about them. Anyway, mine are tullulah, pricilla, and lola, wanted kinda camp names for them. >mmm< but its all good fun
Wife, mother, chief cook and bottle washer to a patient husband, 3 sons, 4 dogs, 1 snake, 20 fish, 1 red tailed hawk and 3 chickens, tullulah, lola and pricilla.
angel253
Lively Laner

Post by angel253 »

My first two posh ladies were Maude and Marge from the Simpsons, Marge had some blue flecks on her tail.
My next 3 ex batts are Dolly and Roberta (two names who were the chickens on my ironing board full of animals!) and Scraggy Annie because she was.
My recent 4 ex batts were named by my niece and nephew and are mostly kids in their classes! Adelaide, Isobelle, Sirah and Chicken Licken (which we have renamed Hattie because we had to put a hat on her to keep her warm for a few days!) :-D
Angela x
[center]Maud, Marge, Dolly, Annie, Hattie, Sirah, Adelaide,Isobelle (RIP Bertie) Plus 3 as yet unnamed![/center][center]cats Austin & Lewis, goldfish Freddie, Goldie, Del, Rodney & Dave
oh & one wonderful Adrian[/center]
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk
fox1028
Lively Laner

Post by fox1028 »

Rosie,Tanya and Donna and are from my fav film mamma mia
sophie=my daughter who is my girls biggest fan apart from me
dot= my ex-greyhound
Lucy=just a name i luv
Goosey (is not an ex batt but one who adopted us) = my daughter named after lucy >mmm<
family= 1 hubby, 3 kids, 3 cockatiels, 1 dog,3 guinea pigs, 1 rabbit,2 hamsters, 11 ex batts ,2 magpie hens,2 bluebell hens and 1 hen that addopted me.
Hintza
Lively Laner

Post by Hintza »

When they first arrivd the children said "ooohh that one pecked me" so has to be called pecky but pecky was a different bird everyday. So I bought 10 different coloured rings and we now have:

Pecky Pink
Pecky Red
Pecky Dark Blue
Pecky Light Blue
Pecky Purple
Pecky Light Green
Pecky Dark Green
Pecky Flourescent Green
Pecky Orange (II)
Pecky Yellow

)t' :-D
3 Speckeldy, 2 Speckeldy boys, 2 Speckeldy Offspring girls, 6 White Stars, 1 Cream Legbar. 2 Cuckoo Marans, 1 Black Copper Marans (The Delinquent:- BOY!!), 1 Barnevelder, 6 Hyline, 2 Minorca.
lynniepinnie
Longlasting Laner

Post by lynniepinnie »

My first four are / were named after female relatives;

Enid my mum {hug} rip both
Edna aunt
Elsie aunt
Esther grandma {hug}

Newbies because they are elegant

Eleonor the biggest one
Emily the smaller shy one {hug&kiss}
3 dogs Harvey, Dylan and Betsy, 3 cats Merlin, Molly Mog & Lilly, 6 hens Eleanor, Eva, Ellen, Elizabeth, Hannah & Hetty 1 cockerel Frodo 3 Ducks Sarah, Winnie & Mary RIP Enid :( RIP Emily :( RIP Olga :( RIP Rosie :( RIP Ellie, RIP Evil Edna, RIP Esther :(
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

My mum named my original princesses, Alice and Abbie. Just got a black rock Daisy,black tipped golden siston????Iris and a sussex Primrose. Mum named them again but over night decided they were a bit bovine so kept the Iris and have remaned Daisy Betty and Primrose Elsie after 2 of my late great aunts. Bit off topic, my neighbour has a new cat and his wife has called it Princess, he has vowed he will not be calling it in at night!
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

When I first got chooks they were all sort of old lady names - Tilley, Nora, etc etc etc.

That sort of continued until I got two white ladies - Mary Meringue and Penny Pavlova. They were quite different from the others and each other, then one day I realised I no longer knew who was who, and when one died, I didn't know which. :?

Executive decision made and I still have Mary Meringue. :?

I had several brown rescue hens at once, so leg ringed the two who were hard to to tell apart, Purple Myrtle and Yellow Rose (of Texas) and they are (or were, Rose died) the only ones I can name now! Jake and Ellwood (Blues brothers) are my two skylines as they lay blue(or green) eggs - can't tell them apart any more either. Ha ha ha

So I have a plan. I will always have at least one Purple Myrtle, and will rhyme colours to leg rings, any white chooks will all be called Mary..... much easier!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com