weed killer

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Itchy
Lively Laner

weed killer

Post by Itchy »

I need to do a bit of spot weed killing with Round up type stuff, what sort of time should I keep the Chooks away?
can't think of owt funny to write lol

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: weed killer

Post by Annie »

Not sure Itchy but I would say you would need to wait until the weeds have died and you have cleared the ground )t'
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Jinxyjuja
Lively Laner

Post by Jinxyjuja »

I wouldn't risk it personally - does it say anything on the label ??
Emmachuck
Lively Laner

Post by Emmachuck »

Not sure I would risk a chemical weedkiller. Could you maybe try concentrated salt water, if it is just for spot weed killing? My MIL swears by it!

Emma
fox1028
Lively Laner

Post by fox1028 »

i would'nt risk weed killer. Dig or pull the weeds out. it took me well over an hr to pull the nettles from the girl's run recently..they loved exploring the new area's >mmm<
family= 1 hubby, 3 kids, 3 cockatiels, 1 dog,3 guinea pigs, 1 rabbit,2 hamsters, 11 ex batts ,2 magpie hens,2 bluebell hens and 1 hen that addopted me.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Another one here who uses salt, brilliant stuff, even on Ragwort which is a vile plant. )t'
Devonrich
Lively Laner

Post by Devonrich »

My company treats lawns for weeds. With the weedkillers we use I tell customers to keep grass eating animals such as guinea pigs, rabbits and tortoises off for two weeks, just to be on the safe side.

Of course, we do not use Glyphosate, but we use a selective systemic weedkiller which has similar properties.

I've had blackbirds digging in the lawn and feeding young while I'm spraying with no ill effect.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

You are what you drink, and I'm a bitter man.