Another newbie.

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
angie.c
Learner Laner

Another newbie.

Post by angie.c »

Hi all,

I have been reading the post for a few weeks, I started keeping chickens in April when a bloke who works with my hubby offered two chickens and coop for £50, so we welcomed on board two bluebells, called Tikka and cinnamon, all well and good!! but two wasnt enough so I came on to the forums to get advice on how to introduce chickens to each other, who knew!! went to a breeder from the list on this site in Alford and got a pied suffolk and a sussex, may have got confused which one is suffolk and sussex though!!. Jasmine and Nigella, Jasmine decided that she would keep flying over the net seperating them so they only spent one day apart and touch wood a week later there has only been a couple of pecks, they all seem to have accepted each other well, I have bribed them with treats though and spent a lot of time watching them. Just a brief intro! I am waffling :oops:
I have got eggs of the old girls daily since i got them and the younger two have started to lay a few days ago, such sweet tiny eggs :-D now I know they lay soft eggs when they are getting used to laying or stressed (good info on here) but yesterday I had two hard ones, from cinnamon and tikka and three soft!!! from jasmine and nigella, all laid under the perches. They have already laid in the nest boxes so I presume they know where to lay. Is this normal or have the treats i have been giving them to settle in been the cause, they have grit and oyster shell available and i bake old shells to give to them every now and again. I make sure they have layer pellets before they come out into the garden to free range in the afternoon.

I am really sorry for the long post but I know by all your posts that you understand how people are feeling when they are worried about their chooks!! :-D
Thanks
Angie xx
Angie xx

2 kids (Ellie and Sam) 1 hubby (Mark) and 4 chickens (Tikka, Cinnamon, Jasmine and Nigella)

Karhog
Longlasting Laner

Re: Another newbie.

Post by Karhog »

Hello! It could possibly be the treats- I tend to leave the treat bit till early evening once they have already 'filled up' on the 'proper' food.
As you already have grit and shell available it may be worth adding a spoon of limestone flour to their feed (mine also have has the soft egg problem so I add a spoonful with their feed every few days) It provides that extra bit of calciim needed for the egg production. )t'
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Welcome )t'

Sounds like a practise egg, or took them by surprise egg - it happens.
I have a bird that has recently started laying, she sits on a nest for ages with the others shouting at her.
She gets off nothing there.......... 2 mins later there's a warm egg on the moonscape which was once my lawn.
manda

Post by manda »

Nothing to add but welcome Angie :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Hello Angie,
Greetings and welcome to The Lane from us too.
Dom & Ali
Ali Woks My World
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hello and welcome from me as well.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Welcome Angie from one newbie to another.....Lyn
LYN
ock

Post by ock »

hi and welcome )t'
[center]OCK LIKES TO PARTY !!!![/center]
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

Welcome aboard!

)t'
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

Welcome from me too! )t' :-D
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
mabel88
Lively Laner

Post by mabel88 »

welcome angie to dtl )t'
i was born bald and my mother loves Me 50 yrs later nothing's changed
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Welcome from me, have fun.