educated chooks

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
monkey_biz
Lively Laner

educated chooks

Post by monkey_biz »

ok so i havent packed off the chooks to school.... but some of you may remember i gave up my job and went back to college to study at the ripe old age of 44. well im having a years "adults access to learning" course before going off to uni to study podiatry. the years course is health and life sciences in which you study and sit 8 in2 (the new name for o grade) and 8 highers... all in one year. as well as biology chemistry physics and maths there is IT. now being an ex IT manager i asked to sit the higher IT, silly not to really... anyway my final project was on chickens. so i started a new company with projected running costs and company profile model and thus was born "the urban free range chicken egg company" i made up flyers, company profile leaflets, green recycled egg boxes with company logo's on them ect and circulated them round my neighbours..........

AND GUESS WHAT

it took off and i cant keep up with demand (even with 10 chooks) due to freshness, taste and word of mouth so my chickens are now self sufficient and turn over a tiny proffit which is used to buy corn on the cob as a treat.

best bit!!!
i got 100% in my higher IT. the senior lecturer has NEVER given 100% ever!!!! and now she is a customer {hug}

now to keep this up would anyone like a copy of the egg box lables and flyers so you can add you address to them and hand them out as im trying to find out how far the "company" can grow for my thesis on free company growth and sharing, which is basically how small farms became big farms then large company chains but this model will be FREE to distribute and non profitmaking. id like photo's from all corners of the UK with the company logo :)

anyone care to help and its a little bit of fun as well
Being diagnosed with Aspergers at 44 doesnt mean i now have a lable to be used against me it means i am fully in control and a lot more intelligent than i look!

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: educated chooks

Post by Mo »

Good for you.
I'm not exactly urban and I don't need flyers, as you say demand well outstrips supply. I've decided not to increase about 3-6, and that supplies family and a few friends.
Going from hobby to even small scale 'farming' would mean extra cost for housing either in time or money or both, that is where the economics tip people towards the horrors of factory farming. And when it gets beyond a quick poo pick/egg collecting trip time costs come in there too. But if you are doing a thesis you know all about that.
Good luck with it.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Just remember they do slow down with there laying as the days get shorter,i have 8 girls and gone from 7 eggs to 3 sometimes only 2 per day ,may find disapointed customers going else where if supply dries up .
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
monkey_biz
Lively Laner

Post by monkey_biz »

i am in no means doing this full time..... its more akin to a fantasy football league. i dont want people to do anything except show a picture of the eggbox all labled up and perhaps a chook in the pacground. its a virtual large scale model to show what could happen when average chicken keepers network together.
perhaps i should have said that at the begining, its a MAKE BELIEVE COMPANY to base it all on. you get a flier, an eggbox label and i get a picture from all parts of the uk. all my neighbours have been getting my eggs since i started its just now they get them all pretty nothing has changed my end apart from new "customers" at college and neighbours friends.

:oops: sorry if you thought this was a business venture :oops: its just a fun VIRTUAL adventure to base a thesis on thats all
Being diagnosed with Aspergers at 44 doesnt mean i now have a lable to be used against me it means i am fully in control and a lot more intelligent than i look!
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Wouldnt make a living from 10 :-D

Its just i have had to dissapoint a few people last 2 weeks who were getting there eggs from me as production has halved ,is what i ment .
Some of my customers dont understand because in the past i have had eggs to spare dont believe me when i tell them there is non.
Mine goes towards food and treats )t' good luck anyway.
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014