x battery hens

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: x battery hens

Post by Richard »

suncaddie7 wrote:well im going to have to Find a new home for my Girls, im not feeding with nothing in return, and also were Moving house this year. seems i was cond, we were told they would lay eggs, and they were about 1 year old. if you want to Buy them let me know.

Have to say I find your post quite amazing - did you not swat up on ex-battery hens before getting them?
Having had ex-batts for over ten years and in the lines of about 100 altogether, I have never had any which haven't laid at all.

It's the time of the year, some do, some don't, but come March, they'll probably start -

The six I have at the moment laid about 4 a day through last summer and now 1 / 2 per day.

I would suggest you either wait with patience and understanding of their past condition or find someone who would like them - someone here probably would, just give your location and they can pm you with details etc.

Whatever, next time I'd suggest 'proper chickens' and pay up to £20 / £30 each for them - and still not be absolutely guaranteed with eggs.

Without prejudice but somewhat alarmed

Richard.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome

MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Absolutely agree with Richard )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

:shock:
suncaddie7
Learner Laner

Post by suncaddie7 »

got them from James well he got them, we filled in the form to get x bats, its said they would lay, Right now im not happy. they will be gone by this weekend
Dogs are For Life, not a gift box
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Hope your chickens find a home where they can live out their days in comfort given what they will have gone through in the past ...
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

suncaddie7 wrote:got them from James well he got them, we filled in the form to get x bats, its said they would lay, Right now im not happy. they will be gone by this weekend

So who is james? is he a volunteer for one of the rescue organisations?
If so which one.
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

It's Organised Chaos, my cousins partner, birds are from the last rescue with FSFH last year........
perchy

Post by perchy »

Whereabouts are you? I wonder if anyone here can help you, such a shame, sorry you feel like this, they really are rescue birds, alot of them are worn out, but may well start laying in the better day light hours, do they free range? any chance you have missed any eggs?
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Taken from this page on the fresh start for hens website.

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/inde ... &Itemid=57
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Poor girls, its a shame they didnt find a forever home. Maybe who ever takes them on will give them the consideration they need and deserve. Maybe you should buy some hens that are guaranteed to lay {cry}
LYN
manda

Post by manda »

Good Luck with that ...there is no guarantee with a living thing...even the "poshest" hens sometimes have a malfunction and you don't get any eggs or way under what you would expect.....they are not machines mores the pity then the battery farms wouldn't need to lock those poor hens in cages for what sometimes can be their entire life.

I think you are quite right to find them a good home ex-batty's are obviously not for you.

Maybe this is something we should draw to the attention of the re-homing organizations ...make sure that whoever is applying for hens from the rescues has actually read what having ex-batty's entails so it avoids ignorance.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
MrsMothergoose
Lively Laner

Post by MrsMothergoose »

yike* OMG Suncaddie7 where are you PM me on here or on FB Debby'mothergoose'muir, if its doable I'll give them their forever home.
Debby xx

[center]Two rescue labs, 1 Speckledy, 1 Rhode Rock and two Light Sussex.
1 rescued Cream Legbar bantam
and 7 ducks
Looking forward to becoming a Sunny Clucker Trucker in
Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire[/center]

[center]I've registered for Sunny Clucker[/center]
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

suncaddie7 wrote:got them from James well he got them, we filled in the form to get x bats, its said they would lay, Right now im not happy. they will be gone by this weekend

suncaddie,

When you say they'll be gone, do you mean you have found a home for them or something else?

If you pm me with your location (town and county) I'm pretty sure I can find a home for your hens, probably by the weekend, there are Members here who would gladly help the Hens out.

I have also contacted Fresh Start for Hens so they have the right to reply to your posts and possibly help find alternative accomodation for them.

All members and all Re-homing Organizations associated to Down the Lane will always put the Hen's welfare and wellbeing above anything else..

Thank you, Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
battychick_kike
Legendary Laner

Post by battychick_kike »

Hiya suncaddie7

Which rehoming organisation did you get your hens from?

All the battery hens that get rehomed are aged 18months old, and if you got them in October, there is an extremely high chance that your hens are having a winter break or in a moult, as do a lot of hens at this time of the year. With the shorter days they take this time to regrow their missing feathers, and all this, in turn, stops them from laying.

A lot of hen keepers here, have said they are not getting many eggs from their hens at the moment, I have 12 hens, and got 1 egg today. I have 6 pure breed hens (one of which is a blue egg layer and I have never had an egg from her) and 6 battery hens of varying age, none of which are under 3 years old now.

Al37 copied a piece from the Fresh Start For Hens website and it says that if you want hens purely for their eggs, battery hens are not the way forward.
I do not believe you were conned, perhaps you just misunderstood the reason why the hens were cheap to buy in the first place.

There is a lot of information to be read on that website and doing your homework before taking on a pet is vital in their care and wellbeing. It is only them which suffer in the end.

suncaddie7 wrote:well im going to have to Find a new home for my Girls, im not feeding with nothing in return, and also were Moving house this year. seems i was cond, we were told they would lay eggs, and they were about 1 year old. if you want to Buy them let me know.

It might be pretty good idea if you contact the organisation that you got your hens from and explain the situation to them, they will be more than happy to help you. It is what they are there for and they care about the hens way beyond the rehoming day.

I am sure that one of the lovely members here will give them a good forever home anyway.

{hug}
[center]Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start.....[/center]

www.freshstartforhens.co.uk
manda

Post by manda »

Battychick......
Steve the Gas wrote:It's Organised Chaos, my cousins partner, birds are from the last rescue with FSFH last year........
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny