New to this!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
LisaB

Re: New to this!

Post by LisaB »

I'm sorry, I just found the dimensions and excluding the nestbox (which I would assume is around 30cm) I make it just under 25sqft, I'm really sorry but in my opinion it's really not big enough for 3 hens, I know ex-batts have been kept in tiny spaces but I still don't think it's right to put them in a smaller space you'd put any other hen. I really think you should extend before getting some lovely ex-batts :-D

bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I'm new, too. Joined the forum a couple of weeks ago. I can only plan at the moment - contract for the new house is at the solicitor's office now so we are making progress. This forum is remarkable. Most people seem to be broadly in agreement and I take from each answer that which seems to relate best to my situation.

5 chickens will be coming to me - because I have chosen 5 names. I know it's silly - but I'm so frustrated at not being able to realise my dream IMMEDIATELY.

It is possible to over-think, I've found. One error I was prevented from making was that not only did I plan a very large Walk-in-Run, I was also going to get a coop that was much too big. Seemingly it is important that the coop "fits" because as there is no heating and the birds huddle together when roosting the spare space might allow them to get cold in the winter. My OH has offered to put in a pig lamp with a thermal regulator but I think I'll just stick with the proper size housing.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Ah, the dimensions on the plan are 146 x 187 including nestbox. I made it nearly 30 sq ft, but didn't reduce it for the nest box. (1.46 metres = 1.46x39 inches=57 ins= 4.7 ft and 1.87 m=6 ft)
It's not as small as some of the runs, so maybe ....
The problems are worst when you introduce new hens to an existing flock, so certainly don't attempt that until the extension is built
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
pegpuss
Lively Laner

Post by pegpuss »

No, I realise I didn't exclude the nest box either so had over calculated :?
That was actually the biggest "off the peg" all in one I could find as well.
Hubby's just got home form work so I've already given him a run through of my plans for extending and how I think he'll do it and met with zero resistance...result!!!!
Emma

Love my boy Sylvester and his current wives Beatrice, Gladys, Isabella, Juniper, Kitty, Lottie, Maud, Nora, Milly and Prudence. Gone but never forgotten Arabella, Clara, Dolly, Edwina, Florrie and Hilda.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Sadly most coops with joined runs have a run that is no where near big enough :?
I'm sure you'll get it sorted in no time! and then you don't have to worry about where to put the girls etc whilst you're extending it.
have you thought about just getting a coop and building the run yourselves? You just have to make up panels and put it together, then you can make it the size and shape you like =)
pegpuss
Lively Laner

Post by pegpuss »

Yes, Lisa....I think that would have been sensible but hubby was so keen that he ordered the Amazon one in a hurry. I'd looked at loads and pointed out that was the biggest I could find, next thing I knew he'd ordered it! I've been trying to persuade him for weeks that a few ex batts in the garden would be lovely. He took a while to warm to the idea so I didn't want to dissuade him in any way when he suddenly got keen!
As I've now pointed out the extension that my girls and I will require and he hasn't resisted at all, I remain a happy lady, albeit one who will have to wait a little longer for the girls home to be ready for living in :-D
Emma

Love my boy Sylvester and his current wives Beatrice, Gladys, Isabella, Juniper, Kitty, Lottie, Maud, Nora, Milly and Prudence. Gone but never forgotten Arabella, Clara, Dolly, Edwina, Florrie and Hilda.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Oh sorry I missed that bit :oops: :oops:
Well I hope it all works out, and hope we get some pictures when it's all set up (and you have some lovely batties of course!)
Good luck!
pegpuss
Lively Laner

Post by pegpuss »

Oh yeah, I'm sure you'll all get lots of pics along the way! I've checked out the pics thread and imagine mine'll be there in due course :-D
Emma

MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Good luck with it all, chicken keeping is so rewarding )t' looking forward to hearing about your girls when they arrive
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
wendy

Post by wendy »

Bit late coming to this, but welcome to the forum. )wav(
Well done for giving a life to these much abused little hens. You will never regret it they are full of character.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

You certainly won't regret it!! They are the most charming lovable naughty little imps you can imagine and I'm sure you wont be without them once they come home :-D )t'
LYN
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

I got my 5 ex batties last September. Their Walk-in-Run wasn't quite complete so they had to live in a 11ft square loose box for the first 5 days. They all pinned each other down and beat each other up for the whole 5 days (apart from the one at the bottom of the pecking order - she had no-one to beat up). On day 6 they went in their large Walk-in-Run and peace and happiness immediately descended. There has barely been a peck since.
Rightly or wrongly I put their newfound harmony down to having plenty of space.
Good luck with the run extension.
pegpuss
Lively Laner

Post by pegpuss »

Hi again
Hubby and I have had a lovely day today....erected the coop and spent a fortune in B&Q buying stuff to completely extend and alter the run as well as all the stuff we need to section off a free range area of garden safe from my little dog,pics will hopefully follow later :-D
Having a coffee break then back at it shortly.....
Emma

Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Bridgets Mum wrote:I got my 5 ex batties last September. Their Walk-in-Run wasn't quite complete so they had to live in a 11ft square loose box for the first 5 days. They all pinned each other down and beat each other up for the whole 5 days (apart from the one at the bottom of the pecking order - she had no-one to beat up). On day 6 they went in their large Walk-in-Run and peace and happiness immediately descended. There has barely been a peck since.
Rightly or wrongly I put their newfound harmony down to having plenty of space.
Good luck with the run extension.

You're absolutely right Brigets Mum.. Chickens are feisty creatures and they'll start sorting out their pecking order as soon as they are put together (as you found out).. Obviously the smaller the space they're given, the less chance they have of escaping or getting out of sight of the other ladies which will result in injury or in the worst cases even death.. I think a while back someone likend it to being shoved in a cupboard with a load of nasty bullies and not being able to escape.
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Oh and Welcome to the Lane Pegpuss )t' )wav(
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein