My 8 ladies

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

My 8 ladies

Post by Gwenoakes »

Just a quick update on my ladies. Still named only one - Henrietta. A friend is coming over this Saturday and will be naming one after herself 8) .
They are doing fine, not laying many eggs, but then I am not worried about that, after all you can only eat so many eggs :) . Two of them seem to be really dark brown and the others, I think will be a lighter brown. Very difficult to tell apart though :? . One of the darker ones was a bit lame the other day, but got over that within 24 hours and seem fines now.
They actually mug me now when I go in the run LOL. Have to be very careful not to tread on them!
I am giving them mixed corn, layers pellets, greens and scraps from the house, grit and also the tonic in their water. Do I need to give them anything else guys? They have regular dust baths which is funny to watch and have put some powder on their bedding for red mites.
Hope everyone elses chooks are doing well. Thanks Gwen.

b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

aw gwen im glad theyve settled in well, i think youve just about got everything you need there. you might want to think about oystershell for their egg shells and there is another something but i cannot remember the name right now. but the pellets are meant to have everything they need!
keep us all posted :wink:

kat x
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi .
Nice to hear they have settled well.
You don't need to give more, at all. It seems they are getting all they need.
Treats though ? mine love pasta and rice, but get them rarely nowadays, a corn on the cob hung up, porridge. Could go on and on.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Good news.

The eggs will come plentiful - they will!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

My 8 ladies

Post by AnnaB »

Hi again Gwenoakes
You will find that you have to sell them - there is only so many you can freeze for the non-laying days.
Last month 6 girls produced 77 (I keep a record - sad) and by selling them I have money to buy their organic feed. The way it is going they will pay for their litter and the diatomaceous earth. Most people will pay if they know they are being fed good stuff.
The supermarket charges £3.25 for 12 (organic fed, free range) never sayd how old the eggs are though. I charge £2 for 12 and no-one looks at me strange when they come to the door. There are people placing regular orders which isn't bad in 2 months.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks guys. Nice to know I am not doing too bad for a novice :) Good to know they will lay more, but not really worried whether they do or dont.
Am interested in the freezing though, can one of you tell me how to freeze them please?
They are not free range, am too worried about Mr & Mrs Fox yet, also am wary of letting them out just in case they dont find their way back. I know, I know you will all think me a worry wort, but couldnt bear the thought of getting them out of those horrible crates to end up in someones tummy! We have to do the courtyard which the run faces onto, so maybe I will let them out in there, then they will be right near their run and know where to go. :razz:
Been really busy with work, we are roofers, so not had as much time as I would like to spend with them. I am working on that one though :wink: Thanks everyone.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

My 8 ladies

Post by AnnaB »

Gwenoakes
My girls are all ex battery and I will only let them out of their run when I am about. I too worry about fox and I know he can't get into the run.
To freeze eggs beat them first and then freeze. I used to freeze 4-6 at a time for cakes and omelettes.
The book says to add sugar for sweet dishes and salt for savoury we don't have salt
I didn't want to put anything in them too much labelling I left them plain and they were fine. I think they will keep for 6-9 months but I use mine within 6.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks Anna B. Glad to see I am not the only over protective Mum LOL.
We not only have foxes where we live, but there is a badger set on our land too and although it is nice to see them I dont want them to get to know my ladies too well, if you get my jist.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I freeze eggs too. Then if I'm making a batch of cakes I've got 1lb of eggs, even if I've sold all the fresh ones. And I don't have to sell any that are more than a few days old.
I just beat them with a fork and freeze 2 in a little candied peel tub or a pound in a marg tub. When they come out they don't look quite the same texture, but they are fine in fruit cake.

Don't worry about them finding their way home, I don't think they range very far at first, then they get bolder (if mine were allowed to free range they would be next door scratching up her plants).
But if they have a good sized run they are SO much better with you than where they were. Mind you, however big the run they will hop out if they can!
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

My 8 ladies

Post by AnnaB »

Mo
Have a look at my photo's It would be impossible for them to jump that!!
When I have the sheep hurdles out I am always with them and have taken to putting pond netting over the top as its only 3ft high.
On another note I wonder what is the biggest jump they can make?
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Looked at your piccies, very nice too. Cant take any yet as I still cant find the camera )gr:
Dont want to worry you but foxes can climb, or so I have been reliably informed.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

My 8 ladies

Post by AnnaB »

The side of the run and the roof are covered in 1/2 inch weld mesh. There is 1/2 to a 1/3 covered in coroline (c). Richard has said in the past foxes can climb trees but if they got on the roof they couldn't get in
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Glad to hear it, I stand corrected :oops: They say you learn something every day and this seems to be my day for it! :-D
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

My 8 ladies

Post by AnnaB »

Gwenoakes
Whats with the red face? Not meant to be embarrassing only that I hope I have my girls very, very secure (I couldn't sleep at night if I thought they were in danger).
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Not meant to be a red face Anna - oops! Pressed the wrong one LOL.