Ewwww...Who do mites live on?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I've found
http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodrin/poultry ... tsheet.pdf

which summarises all the law relating to poultry.

Section 7.1 may be relevant
I can't find the leaflet they sent.
When I was visiting a poultry show before I got my hens I signed up to the smallholder club run by smallholder range feed suppliers
Part of the information pack they sent me said (p4) "Old methods of handling birds by suspending them by the legs can cause injury - in severe cases perotonitis (if an egg is forming inside the hen) resulting in death."
Again, I think that catching hens by the legs, then supporting them properly is a different matter.
Last edited by Mo on 06 Sep 2007, 13:43, edited 2 times in total.

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

'So, some are right, you can hold them upside down, as long as they are supported, which you would have to do anyway.
If you 'swung a chicken upside down' you'd have no chance of getting the powder in the right place anyway! which I'm sure is not what it is being recommended by anyone'.

We're all chook lovers doing our best to do what is right - that's the main thing'

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Jo
Lively Laner

Post by Jo »

Good Evening,

I thought I would update on my girls little passengers. I dusted them a few days ago and on inspection tonight I have only spotted a few.

I certainly didn’t hold them by their legs - I don't think they would trust me again, and I wouldn’t blame them. I sat them on a table put my arm around them and they happily tucked their heads under my arm and nibbled on my coat whilst I gave them a good coating. I did also have a pot of meal worms to hand! :wink:

I had to do one of the girls again as she was still fairly alive with them (she seemed to have the heaviest infestation), again she just sat there letting me rummage through her feathers.

I have scrubbed the house and put them on a paper bedding, which they seem to like dressing themselves up in, especially in the mornings (f+

I have had an extra egg these past few mornings, which is different from the others so I think one of them has started laying.

It must be such a relief for them to get rid of those things - imagine the irritation.

After the 'dusting' I came in covered in Lice Powder, Lice and Dried Meal Worms - very attractive. :shock:

Like Wendy I found one in my hair, I combed it through with a nit comb, obsessed about finding others!!!!!

I am also very pleased with myself this week, having been veggie for 17 years, I decided it was time to go Vegan )c+

Eggs are something I cannot face eating as most are from exploited hens, like our milk.

Another thing since getting my girls is that I cannot even look at chickens in the supermarket - maybe I have just a had a reality check…not that I needed convincing, it's all the others! :cry:
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Ewwww...Who do mites live on?

Post by AnnaB »

Jo
There are many things in the supermarket I can't look at chicken, meat (is it from caged animals?) processed food, all this add a bit of this and that sauces. Anything from big manufactures and especially usa.....the list goes on.