Where do i get them from other than breeders in mags

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
paxo
Lively Laner

Where do i get them from other than breeders in mags

Post by paxo »

ok next question lol im wondering where we get more from as i got mine out of prac poultry theyre just the standard hybrid rir x ls and wondered if theres anywhere better. Although distressed at paxo being the foxes dinner last night i need to keep my egg produstion up and thought the sooner we get some more in the better as we havent had them long and thought it might be an idea to get new ones in sooner rather than later. we're in nottingham and im looking for one or maybe two more so they can pair off together also how do i do it if i only have one coop and one run?
thanks
lorna

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

May be a good idea to phone the nearest livestock auctioneers, they could probably tell you of someone. You're not doing them out of business as most Poultry Auctions are atill banned.

Local press (have a snoop in the newsagents).

Or just ask at a Farm?

Hope it works out. Sorry to hear of old foxey - not their fault, like cats, just natural hunters etc.

Cheers, Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
melons
Legendary Laner

omlet

Post by melons »

If you go to the Omlet web page & go through the procedure as if to buy an Eglu, when it says put in your post code for nearest chicken supplier, it will give you a list of your nearest poultry breeders, bit of a faff, but it located one really near me, I got ex batts in the end i was just being nosey :-D
Cheers
mel x
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Try a search on the web for poultry breeders. I got my chicken house from Leek, and that farm also breeds his own chicks

Failing that - what about ex-batts from the Battery Hen Welfare trust -- the henshouse.co.uk
Small steps lead to big changes
paxo
Lively Laner

Post by paxo »

i dont mind taking ex batts but am worried im not experienced enough
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

paxo i got my ex batts in may, having never owned any kind of chickens before!
its up to you of course but if i can do it, i think anyone can!!
however i dont know about introducing them to your existing lot! have not read much on introducing healthey hens to healthy hens! if you get what i mean :? )t'
paxo
Lively Laner

Post by paxo »

does anbody have any advice on introing ex batts to my current girls only had them 3 weeks and they were p.o.l
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Let them be together with a wire partition between them for a while. I think thats what they say, if I remember reading it right LOL. Bit like horses really, only they have electric fence between them instead of wire.
I have 8 lady's, (battery hens) and they are lovely. Dont worry that you dont know enough, just ask on here. They are real good at giving advice, I should know have asked a few times LOL
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi.
I have only ever had ex battery hens. If they can live through the battery they can manage quite well with an inexperienced owner.
Just have to be aware that the battery takes a great toll on their little bodies and so you may lose one early on. But that can happen to those who have never been in the battery, so it is the luck of the draw.
I took on two more girls 17/08/07 and needed to add them to my girls. I have had them since October 2005 so they are established. I intended to keep them apart for a week. But a friend on the other forum, a very experienced chicken keeper, said I would have the same problems whether I kept them apart one day, one week or one year. So I seperated for the first 24 hours and then let them together. I have had a bit of pecking. But nothing sustained or ganging up. Now they are all getting on fine.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning