What's happened?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

What's happened?

Post by lizziedoggarden »

My girls stopped laying after getting 5-7 eggs a day...I noticed last week that there were an awful lots of feathers in the run and I mean alot...none of my girls have moulted and all seem quite happy.
I wondered if a fox could've startled them? I've checked around and can't find anywhere where it could climb in? We have fencing panels that are 8 ft high?
If a fox HAD got in is it possible he wouldn't have been able to get any of my girls? I can't explain the masses of feathers? >shrug<
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!

bluebell
Legendary Laner

Re: What's happened?

Post by bluebell »

They are going through a moult. My hens are the same at the moment, you would think a fox had been in with them!!! Nothing to worry about, they are just having a 'new change of clothing'.

Youl could try giving them a bit of poultry spice in with their feed, its supposed to help when they are going through the moult.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

Hi Bluebell, they went through a moult just before Christmas }hairout{ would they be ready for another already?
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oooh I don't know Lizzie, they're a conundrum sometimes aren't they >shrug<

Our girls haven't had a moult yet, or I don't think they have..... I have noticed one or two feathers dotted about, but I understood that if they moult there's loads and loads?
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

I do believe a fox could get over the fencing but if one had been in there would be carnage and dead bodies, presumably all your girls are present and correct. There can be alot of feathers and initially the chickens don't look any different, especially if more than one is moulting.
Sheila D
Longlasting Laner

Post by Sheila D »

One of mine is moulting at the moment. They seem to do it singly, not all at the same time - strange. However, within a couple of days, all the feathers have disappeared as if a hoover has cleaned them all up. They must be eating them for the protein - saves me having to sweep them up. My once very sick and disabled Roxy is the one that is moulting and while this is happening, she has become totally well again. She no longer waddles like a duck, is first at the food bowl and chatters loudly to anyone who will listen!I can only assume that the moult has some important physiological function and may, in some birds, be a vital part of the healing process. Either way, she's looking great and I'm thrilled!