4 hens, 3 eggs?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: 4 hens, 3 eggs?

Post by Mo »

2 things you didn't say.
a) are they hybrids or pure? Hybrids are bred for eggs flat out for a short time - sprinters. Pure lay less often for longer - stayers.
b) how old were they when you got them?

Mine were 16 week olds at the beginning of May. Like you I have 4, mine are Black Rocks (beautiful egg-machines). My week totals were 0,0,3,7,15,22,25,27,26,27,28,27,26,28,27,26 and howevermany my daughter got this week.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire

grandmaeileen
Longlasting Laner

Post by grandmaeileen »

Hi Mo, we've got 4 Black Rocks as well (aren't they just gorgeous) and when we got them in June they were 16 weeks old.

The last couple of days one of the girls has had to coaxed out of the nest box, so I think she is starting to go broody, but still only 3 eggs.
Mother of two, stepmum to two, all grown up and flown the nest. Grandma to Lucy, who's 12 and is my best friend. Two dogs, 6 Gingernut Rangers, and one lovely hubby!

R.I.P. Queenie, Missy,little hen and Edna
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

i gave up the who lays what and when i drove myself nuts trying to find out whos was whos for what reason ive no idea only that i probably had too much time on my hands :oops: :oops:
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
mull
Learner Laner

Post by mull »

lucky you ive got 4 hens had them2 months so far . no eggs for the first 5 weeks then 1 a day for 4 days then 0 for 7 days then 1 egg none since ?????? not in panic mode yet but hoping things get better soon fingers crossed . im dieing for a couple more of my own fried eggs on toast/??. yum yum . >dum< :oops:
Mollybobs
Lively Laner

Post by Mollybobs »

I have four girls. Lydia started laying on the second day here and I now get at least two, sometimes three eggs a day....but no idea if they are all laying, or if we have a lazy girl :-D

I keep trying to keep an eye out for who emerges from the coop after the 'announcement' but still can't figure it :?

I think everyone within a square mile knew when I opened the nesting box last week to find an egg, perfectly centred in each of the three nesting boxes {rofwl}
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Mollybobs wrote: I think everyone within a square mile knew when I opened the nesting box last week to find an egg, perfectly centred in each of the three nesting boxes

What strange hens you have! All the other members hens know that we only give them 3 nest boxes so that they can choose the best one then pile on top of each other to lay, or queue outside with legs crossed complaining till that box is empty :-D
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mollybobs
Lively Laner

Post by Mollybobs »

My ladies have got style +f+

There are often 3 of them all sleeping in one of the nesting boxes though, two side by side with one strewn over the top )app(
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

aceface wrote:i gave up the who lays what and when i drove myself nuts trying to find out whos was whos for what reason ive no idea only that i probably had too much time on my hands :oops:

{rofwl} it's been quite easy for me to differentiate with our eggs, as we only have three girls at the mo.

Dottie (when she feels like it) makes very pale creamy coloured eggs - she's a black/ginger lady. Elsie makes huge whoppers of various shades of creamy-brown and she's a grey/white stripey lady. Hilda makes slightly smaller eggs of a creamy-brown colour - she's a brown ginger lady >eas1<
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Linsi30
Lively Laner

Post by Linsi30 »

My 3 ex batts lay an egg each a day. I'm waiting for my 3 light Sussex to start any time as they have lovely red combs and are 20 weeks old. Then our ex batts can take a well earned retirement. )t'
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Mo wrote:
Mollybobs wrote: I think everyone within a square mile knew when I opened the nesting box last week to find an egg, perfectly centred in each of the three nesting boxes

What strange hens you have! All the other members hens know that we only give them 3 nest boxes so that they can choose the best one then pile on top of each other to lay, or queue outside with legs crossed complaining till that box is empty :-D

{rofwl} thats exactly what mine do!
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen