Double yolks!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Al B
Lively Laner

Double yolks!

Post by Al B »

My 20 week old chook called Marge has laid three eggs this week which have turned out to be double yolkers.

Is this common in a chook that has only been laying for a week? Does this mean she will lay them regularly? I hope so 'cos they were big and delicious!

My son had never seen a double yolker before we started keeping our own chickens!

Can anyone explain to my son WHY this happens as I struggled? He also wants to know if that would make twin chicks if the egg was fertile!

Thank you!! :-D

Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

you will get a few when they start laying
the chicken has to regulate things inside
if you know what i mean
just enjoy them you might still get the odd one no and then
i do
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Phil Black Rock
Lively Laner

Post by Phil Black Rock »

Enjoy the double's while you can, as the chooks get older and start to lay to a pattern, they will all too soon be single yolks. As stated you may get the odd double.

Phil* )chu:
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

My theory is that as she has only laid 3 in a week 'yesterday's' egg has caught up with 'todays' on the production line before the shell was put on.
You get all sorts of oddities at first, eggs with no shell, shells (sparrows egg size) with just a spot of white, etc