FLOOR COVERING???

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Sheila D
Longlasting Laner

FLOOR COVERING???

Post by Sheila D »

For the past few years my hubby has been bagging up wood chippings from the local tree surgeon to put on the floor of the two runs and this has worked really well. Its free, full of worms, easy to rake, and slowly returns into the ground. However, Jim's had a quadruple by pass last year and I don't want him doing all that digging and carrying.

Can anyone suggest the best (and hopefully not too expensive) floor covering for a covered run? Something that can be hosed down would be good, or failing that, replaced easily. This Christmas the woodchip has been reabsorbed into the ground and the mud and poo is building up. I really want to try and keep the work level down for him, so any flooring that can be delivered and laid easily would be best. Thanks.

Sheila

maz24
Longlasting Laner

Re: FLOOR COVERING???

Post by maz24 »

If I were you id do what I was told on here and put down loads of Sharp Sand. Its easy to poo pick scatter it, with Stalazon which disinfects and dries any poo you miss, rake it over once a week or so and you dont need to change it and its one big dust bath.It works best or did for me.
Marianxx
Sheila D
Longlasting Laner

Re: FLOOR COVERING???

Post by Sheila D »

Thanks Maz I'll give it a try.