getting them back in the run

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Brianfromdorset
Lively Laner

getting them back in the run

Post by Brianfromdorset »

I got 3 chickens last sunday and have been letting them into the run duringing the daytime. Howeve the run is not very big so id like to free range them into my garden at weekends when I can keep a watchful eye over them! how do I get them back in their run when I want to ?I expect they'll go in on their own at dusk but what about midday?

HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Re: getting them back in the run

Post by HensAloud »

Mealworms )t'
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
Brianfromdorset
Lively Laner

Post by Brianfromdorset »

Thanks Angela that's a good tip. Id like to get them back in their run in the least possible way so enticing them with food sounds like a good idea. A small section of our garden has a small fence around 3 feet high which borders our neighbours garden. I wonder if they'd attempt to get over it. Its wire so not really perchable on top.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Start off by letting them out for just half an hour or so before dusk, then give them a treat in the run. Mine get a small amount of corn & now they recognise the tin I keep it in, so they can usually be coaxed back in easily at other times of day.
A 3 foot fence wouldn't stop any of mine!
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Why would you want to leave the house around lunchtime on a weekend Brian?

Yes - mealworms. Let them learn the sound of you putting your hand in the packet and they'll come running from all directions - toss a few in the run and close the gate. To be more accurate, wait until the hens are inside before you close the gate...

Cheapest mealworms are in shops that charge a £

Cheers!
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

Brianfromdorset wrote:Thanks Angela that's a good tip. Id like to get them back in their run in the least possible way so enticing them with food sounds like a good idea. A small section of our garden has a small fence around 3 feet high which borders our neighbours garden. I wonder if they'd attempt to get over it. Its wire so not really perchable on top.

3 foot isn't very high, I think they might hop over it, one thing leads to another every time ! >dowhat<
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
amatureleccy
Learner Laner

Post by amatureleccy »

I use the garden hose and spray them. They go wherever I direct them.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

amatureleccy wrote:I use the garden hose and spray them. They go wherever I direct them.

Really hope that is a joke.

Everyone is right a little bribery goes a long way, they are constantly hungry or at least on the look out for food. The only other thing I have done, especially with the scatty ones in the beginning was walk at a distance behind them with a long garden cane in each hand, I tap the ground to the sides with the sticks gently and herd them in to the run.
As said 3' is very do-able for chickens especially if they can find something to give them a step up - an old flowerpot for example. You may need an action plan with that one )t'
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

I dont want to be a killjoy Brian but i would personally advise you to higher the fence, 3ft is no height to deter anything from getting in to your girls. Always remember that if they can get out a predeter will most definately get in, not just foxes but any nosy dog roaming about and the result dosnt bear thinking about )t' Enjoy your lovely girls by keeping them safe :-D Oh and wellcome to the lane )t' Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

amatureleccy wrote:I use the garden hose and spray them. They go wherever I direct them.

this is not something anyone would advise and it is certainly no way to treat an animal or bird ,wetting hens is not a good thing to do sooner or later the hen will become timid and fearful of the hose ,not only that it is inviting trouble .wet hens and cold weather invites illness and nobody wants to be wet in this weather especially when the hen has no way of drying herself thoroughly before bedtimes etc especially in this weather ,cold ,frosty,damp and short days ,and dropping temperatures
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

hi brian i use a mealworm bribe as does angela they will do anything for a juicy mealworm , i rattle the tin and shout "come on, come on" i find it works every time eventually they will just see the tin and come running but i did train my girls gently and rewarded them every time they came it helps too if you need to get them in quicky if any danger is present ,good luck brian )t'
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I would not recommend deliberately soaking your hens in this way - they try to shelter from rain and in some circumstances can become ill if they remain wet.

Try some corn in a tin - they soon learn to follow you back in!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Mealworms for me. I decant them into a plastic tub and, actually, putting anything in that (corn, surplus cooked rice etc) makes the noise that draws them in. So long as there is a reward every time they'll continue to come running.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

Mealworms for me too )t' Mine are in a tub so they come literally running at me when they hear it rattling :-D
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

I just walk into the garden and they follow me into the run :? (I do give them a reward once they are in )t' )
LYN