getting them back in the run

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: getting them back in the run

Post by Mo »

I agree that 3' may not keep the hens in or dogs and foxes out.
The moveable netting for hen runs is 4' high and I've watched mine crouch and jump over from a standing start. Most don't, but when one has learnt to do it she does it often. Mine like to sit on top of the hen-house and that is about 4' high.
I keep them in the run and sometimes just let them out for an hour before dusk, ours could get through the hedge into next door, who wouldn't be pleased, and I reckon they stay closer if they are thinking about bed-time.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire

Brianfromdorset
Lively Laner

Post by Brianfromdorset »

Thanks for your pointers everyone. Looks like I will be raising the fence in order to stop them escaping!
Dr Ruth
Learner Laner

Post by Dr Ruth »

I kept my 3 in for a couple of weeks so they associated me with food. That helped get them back inside, first few times they were out I had to herd them in a bit....just walked behind them until they went in the right direction and threw some corn inside the coop to get them in! Now they come running when they see me and I give them some worms or corn to get them in, works every time, no problem once they get used to it.
Chickens Audrey, Marilyn and Rita.
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

I bribe mine with mealworms, they will do anything for a tasty mealworm, I have two younger hens that I have introduced to my girls a few months ago now and they are a bit tricky to get back in so I also only let them out for a couple of hours leading up to dusk, then they go in without me having to stress then out, once in I give them mealworms andthey have now realised that the tub means treats mthey fall for it every time :-D
pegpuss
Lively Laner

Post by pegpuss »

I agree...food bribes are the way!
My run is right beside the shed where I keep the food. It's easy as 1,2,3...I go down to the shed, the girls follow me, I get a handful of mealworm or mixed corn, throw it into the run and they quickly follow just to have the gate locked behind them!
I agree about fence height as well. My ladies started out with a chest height fence seperating their space from the rest of the garden. They were jumping over it within a few days of arriving here. It's now around 6' high which keeps them in until I let them out :-D
Emma

Love my boy Sylvester and his current wives Beatrice, Gladys, Isabella, Juniper, Kitty, Lottie, Maud, Nora, Milly and Prudence. Gone but never forgotten Arabella, Clara, Dolly, Edwina, Florrie and Hilda.
amatureleccy
Learner Laner

Post by amatureleccy »

amatureleccy wrote:I use the garden hose and spray them. They go wherever I direct them.

I can assured you that no Hens get the slightest bit damp. I spray a few yards away from them and they just move on. I realise I might have given the impression of being a brute.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

amatureleccy wrote:
amatureleccy wrote:I use the garden hose and spray them. They go wherever I direct them.

I can assured you that no Hens get the slightest bit damp. I spray a few yards away from them and they just move on. I realise I might have given the impression of being a brute.

Mmmm it didn't sound too good....
I think you'd probably find that 'training' them by tapping a tin would be far easier and better than scareing them back into the run, even if they dont get wet.. I just need to tap a tin now and mine all beat me into the run )t'
Failing that a couple of long bamboo rods will usher them in easily and without panic..
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein