Poorly Vera hen.

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
RuthieG
Lively Laner

Poorly Vera hen.

Post by RuthieG »

So, Vera has finally succumbed to peritonitis. I knew she would and have been keeping an eye on her. Went to the vet this evening, temp of 107f, so started a 10 day course of baytril and metocam. Poor girl. {cry} I've told her she can stop laying eggs, but she won't listen to me.
https://www.facebook.com/1500Kilometers my 1500 km journey to a more healthy me!

Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Re: Poorly Vera hen.

Post by Freeranger »

Poor Vera >gl<
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Fingers crossed for Vera {hug}
LYN
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Thinking of you both {hug} {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

>fi< for both of you {hug}
urbanchicks
Longlasting Laner

Post by urbanchicks »

Hope the treatment works for Vera. {hug}

Maggie
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

im so sorry {hug} {hug}
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
RuthieG
Lively Laner

Post by RuthieG »

Well, last night I was going to keep her in, so I could keep an eye on her. She always goes to bed first, so I had to bring her in before the others had gone to bed. I gave her the baytril and metocam, and we had a little cuddle. I put her on the floor to sort the box out and she saw her sisters outside. Well, that was it, she was adamant she was going to be with them, so I thought I may as well, it will be more stressful for her if she isn't where she wants to be. I let her out and the other 4 came running over to her to see if she was ok! She then went and got into one of the nest boxes (normally sleeps on perch) and settled down for the night. I checked on her when I went to bed and she was OK. This morning it was like she was a different hen. First out of the coup, gobbling the food. Tail feathers up and ruling the roost as per usual. She still laid a shell-less egg this morning, and then went back into the coop to lay again (nothing to lay though), but I'm glad the metocam is working, lets hope the baytril does the trick too.

I have a question - I do have some powdered calcium for reptiles, which they have been having. Do you think it would be worth me mixing a little bit up with some water and giving it to her with her baytril?
https://www.facebook.com/1500Kilometers my 1500 km journey to a more healthy me!
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

wow what good news about her im so pleased ,i have no idea re the powdered calcium at all but im keeping my fingers crossed for this little hen to keep getting stronger {hug} for you and her {hug} >fi<
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

Good to hear Vera had a good night, hope she continues to grow stronger everyday. Sorry no idea re powder......
RuthieG
Lively Laner

Post by RuthieG »

Well, she's definitely had a better day today. She went to bed with a full crop, back on her perch and put up a bit more of a fight when I was trying to give her the medication. I did give the calcium, and she shared some food with calcium and limestone flour in also. I need to get her shells sorted out if she's ever going to get passed this......
RuthieG
Lively Laner

Post by RuthieG »

I'm back to the vet this morning with Vera, for her check up. She seems so much better, really on fine form. Hopefully her temp will have come down. No shell-less eggs since Friday morning, that said, I don't think she's laid anything since Friday morning, which is fine by me!
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Glad she's feeling better {hug}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
RuthieG
Lively Laner

Post by RuthieG »

Well, she's obviously very good at acting. Vera still has a high temp, not as high as it was, but higher than the vet would like. She is still quite poorly, but seems to be improving. She's to continue on the baytril and metocam for 6 more days. She did give the dogs st the vet a run for their money though, each time they came near her box she started crowing really loud! She's just been trying to lay (in her box on the way home from the vet) and got really stressed by it, so I let her outside (I wanted to stop her eating the egg, so I'd kept her in) she drank some water and was sick {cry}. She's definitely brighter, but obviously still not well.
sarabee
Legendary Laner

Post by sarabee »

oh bless her, I hope the Baytil does the trick {hug}
Sara

"Harm no living thing"

Brilliant hubbie, 2 great teenagers, Sasha the elderly dog and Fin, the evil but loveable cat! 3 chickens; Dottie, Gaia, and Buttercup
Night night Rhoda xx