How to fox proof a chicken run?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

How to fox proof a chicken run?

Post by redd_angel55 »

I was going to stand a walk in run on 2ft x 2ft slabs. Edge of the run on slabs and the rest of the slab on the outside, if you know what I mean. Getting hold of slabs is really difficult though unless you pay around £5-6 each for them. I dont' really want to put the aviary panels straight onto the ground. Timber has been tanalised, but I would rather protect it by standing it on something and making it as fox proof as possible! We live on the edge of a village with 100 acres of waste land behind our garden and most of our neighbours have chickens and have regular visits from foxes!
What other options do I have please?
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: How to fox proof a chicken run?

Post by Mo »

Try Freecycle. You just might be lucky.
Slabs are heavy to transport too, maybe use buried wire to stop digging and a row of bricks to stand the panels on - that would be a lot more work though.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Slabs would be a great idea but I know what you mean about them being expensive.

Have you tried looking in the local papers or online for second hand ones - we bought ours from fleabay and got a massive amount for £30, including several sacks of builders sand too. It's just a matter of finding some local enough to collect but we only had to wait a couple of weeks until the right location came up )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

Mo wrote:Try Freecycle. You just might be lucky.
Slabs are heavy to transport too, maybe use buried wire to stop digging and a row of bricks to stand the panels on - that would be a lot more work though.

I only managed to get 6 slabs from 4 postings on freecycle :?
I could only dig the wire in on 2 sides. I chopped down 8 conifers along the fence where the run will go and the ground is solid with roots.

Mad chick, there are lots on fleabay and like you said, I keep looking to see if there are any local. So far no luck! I am just being VERY impatient....can't wait to get chickens again! :-D
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x

KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Hello, we've used a lot of scaffolding planks in our run. We rang up a local roofing company and they're usually happy for you to take the ones they no longer want. They usually charge around £3 to £5 but they're a good length and can be sawn up to fit. Hubby then staples wire to them and bury's it under the soil on the outside of the run sticking upwards at the bottom. Just another option :-D
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
urbanchicks
Longlasting Laner

Post by urbanchicks »

I cemented in building blocks(? called breeze blocks) around the pen, and dug in 12 inches of wire in front of them, then fitted the panels to the blocks, drilling them in.Hope this helps.

Maggie
chicken_house_man
Lively Laner

Post by chicken_house_man »

The cheapest slabs are normally the MOT spec ones as used for pavements. Last time i bought them they were around £2 each in a pack of 50. Check out big builders merchants.

When we build our runs we sit the panels onto a base timber. If this rots it can be replaced before the rot reaches the panels.

To prevent foxes getting in we use a 12" mesh skirt that just sits under the edge of the run and will disappear into the grass soon enough. This stops anything digging against the run panel so is normally enough to stop anything.

You can also add electric wire top and bottom to stop anything going under/over.

redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

Thank you Simon! I might keep the kids in the run instead then {rofwl}

chicken_house_man
Lively Laner

Post by chicken_house_man »

Here's one we did today
Anti dig mesh and an electric wire

Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Not wanting to teach you how to suck eggs or anything but don't forget to roof the run, keeps out the garden birds as well as foxy.

When my run was on grass I used broken paving, bricks, planks anything weighty I could find. Plus I had metal dustbins full of pellets plonked here and there, just be aware that anything with height such as a bin can and will be used as a climbing frame by baddies.
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

Wow...that's a lovely run/coop Simon! )t'

I laid slabs around the perimetre of the run. Managed to get some cheap and some free.
Definately making a roof! It's fox heaven here and all neighbours have now roofed their runs!