A guessing game

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
amatureleccy
Learner Laner

A guessing game

Post by amatureleccy »

This post is about how to add new chickens to my flock. I currently have three well sized birds two years old. They have plenty of space so I decided to add a few more birds to the flock.

With some clever alterations to their existing accommodation I was able to temporarily split both the run and the coop.

The four new birds are 2 ISAs, 1 skyline and 1 bluebell. The Bluebell is bigger than the others and is doing a bit of bullying. This is not unexpected and it is too early to call it a problem. As the bluebell is about the size of my current 3, I decided to try her out in the same run as the other three. I have to admit, it was in part motivated to give her a taste of her own medicine, but mostly just to see how she faired.

As expected, the existing three gave her some rough treatment. So I put her back in with the others. I was kind of hopeful, that her spell on the rough side would quieter her down and encourage her to play nicely with the other three newbies. Sadly not, she continued to harass them.

As as per the title, lots of guesswork as to the best course of action. But it I just have to take time for it all to settle down.

They are lovely girls and I look forward to when the can all mix freely and wander around the garden.

amatureleccy
Learner Laner

Re: A guessing game

Post by amatureleccy »

And just as I was submitting that post a fox came for his nightly sniff. Luckily they are safely locked up in bed in a well built coop.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Re: A guessing game

Post by MissEllie »

Hope things settle down soon >fi<
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen