I need to buy some bedding, but not sure what's best.

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
mariat
Lively Laner

I need to buy some bedding, but not sure what's best.

Post by mariat »

My coop needs a clean out, which means I need to buy some bedding, but not sure which to get.

Could you please tell me what you use and why? I phoned a local supplier for prices, and was confused by all the different brands. Surely wood chip is wqod chip, isn't it? And what about the hemp based products, are they worth the higher price?

Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: I need to buy some bedding, but not sure what's best.

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Wood chip is usually used in the run rather than the coop or did you mean wood shavings?
What you use depends really.
Wood shavings are good but you need to make sure they are dust extracted and they take forever to compost.
Hemp based bedding like Aubiose or Hemcore are alright but take a while to break down if you compost them.
Straw based bedding, preferably chopped, is also good and compost really quickly especially if you mix your poo pickings in with it.
Then it comes down to price as to which you pick.
hope that's some help.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
duncan
Lively Laner

Post by duncan »

I used to use easibed/chick but now I use auboise, I am only using auboise as my poultry farm didn't have easibed at the time, but I have also read that redmite can harbour in easibed as it's wood, where as auboise is hemp based.
I personally don't like straw as it doesn't really soak up the wet that much and in the windy weather it blows everywhere.
I also use woodchip on the run floor for the big girls, the pekins are still on shavings.
Not only do i love chooks.

I love my horses and great danes, working tirelessly with rescues
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I like aubiose - I currently use a cheaper version of it, its very absorbent & keeps the
coop clean & smell free if you poop pick every day. I use this (with a little soft straw)
in the nest boxes too, and my blind hen has in in her run to keep it clean, she likes
to dustbath in it! Its supposed to be fully compostable but it can take a while to
break down if you put a lot in there so for big cleanouts I tend to chuck it in the green
recycling bin.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
mariat
Lively Laner

Post by mariat »

Hi, sorry yes, I did mean shavings. It had been a long day :oops:

I think I'm going to use a hemp based product. Maybe more expensive but seems to be worth it.

Is it OK to spread grass clippings in the run? It's large and on soil, if that makes a difference. I thought it would give them something to scratch around in.
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Grass cuttings in the run go down well here :)

I use Megazorb in the chicken coop, and straw in the nest box.
chicks&cats
Legendary Laner

Post by chicks&cats »

Just make sure your grass cuttings aren't too long, but if you keep your grass short it will be fine )t'
I use aubiose too in their nest boxes and wood chip in the run.
mariat
Lively Laner

Post by mariat »

I went with Hemcore. It has citronella so hopefully will keep pests at bay. Smells nice and fresh anyway. Apparently it's for horses, and the packaging says that you should sprinkle 5 liters of water per bale when it's first laid. Does anyone use this and do this? It says it's to activate it. I don't really know what they mean by that.
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Its wetted so that it swells and goes further I think, a bit like wood pellets if used for bedding.
I wouldn't soak it myself, but that's up to you.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

mariat wrote:I went with Hemcore. It has citronella so hopefully will keep pests at bay. Smells nice and fresh anyway. Apparently it's for horses, and the packaging says that you should sprinkle 5 liters of water per bale when it's first laid. Does anyone use this and do this? It says it's to activate it. I don't really know what they mean by that.

golly I never read that bit, maybe that's why its so absorbent in the run!
Mine like it dry, they scratch about in it & Giblet even dustbaths in it, I personally
wouldn't want to wet it, especially if you're using it in the coop, perhaps its
different using it with horses.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
mariat
Lively Laner

Post by mariat »

kitla wrote:golly I never read that bit, maybe that's why its so absorbent in the run!
Mine like it dry, they scratch about in it & Giblet even dustbaths in it, I personally
wouldn't want to wet it, especially if you're using it in the coop, perhaps its
different using it with horses.

No, I won't wet it either. I poop picked yesterday, and it was so easy, nice little clumps (if you can call chicken c**p nice!). Still smells fresh as a daisy, so I'll keep using this, and a bale goes a long way.