New Chicken Keeper with lots of worries!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Re: New Chicken Keeper with lots of worries!

Post by Skeksis »

aishakali wrote:
Skeksis wrote:I personally don't do the grape thing as the reason it's mixed in the pellets is each hen self doses the correct amount for their weight as per how much they eat. It will work, I might be tempted to worm for 10 days though just to make sure; won't do any harm x

Surely if you worm for 10 days instead of the recommended 7, (with a further 7 days after 3 weeks if bad worm burden) you aren't giving them the right dose anyway :? Just a thought.

No, that's fine apparently as its still the same correct daily dose (I usually only do for 7 days but that was my advice to someone with a very heavy worm burden). Each to their own of course, but wanted to put my opinion after speaking to a vet and to the manufacturer about the drug )t'

debwatton
Learner Laner

Post by debwatton »

Thanks everyone for the advice. Flubenvet should be here tomorrow so will get them wormed straight away! Will probably try pellet method first and see how that goes... any issues and I'll change to the grape method.

On a joyous note, Rocky, our Black Rock is laying every day now and don't we just know it when she lays!!! The other 2 haven't started yet but have been in and out of the nest boxes the last couple of days, so I'm guessing are getting ready...... such funny and beautiful little creatures each with their own personality - I love them !!!! Don't know why we didn't have them earlier?!
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Hi Deb, might also consider giving your girls ACV in their water, to assist as a preventative, for internal parasites.
I give mine ACV for the first week in every month, the other 3 weeks I put a couple of cloves of garlic in the water (until it goes mushy). So far they have been worm and mite free )t' , out of choice I haven't wormed for over a year, it works for me )t' .
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

debwatton wrote:...... such funny and beautiful little creatures each with their own personality - I love them !!!! Don't know why we didn't have them earlier?!

)t' Exactly how I feel, Deb :-D We are new to this, too, and picked up our hens last Saturday. This forum is a great place to ask questions and get rational, experienced advice. The thing I've STOPPED doing is reading all the books ^b:

And I don't log on to this website as much as I did at first....I kept being late for work {rofwl}
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

)wav( Hi Deb welcome! Im new too :D Had my ladies one week today : Merryweather, Penny, Tikka, Mildred (Hubs fault) Dandelion and Cracker . >ch< +f+

I noticed mine were eating a lot of layers pellets but then literally it has halved due to them being allowed to roam the garden freely. They get some pellets in the morning then jog on the spot to be let out and shout at me! {rofwl} They have 3 bowls strategically placed round the garden to catch rain water (as well as their drinker in the run) and I was surprised how much they drink. They definitely prefer rainwater too (well mine do) as opposed to tap water

Good luck and I look forward to learning with you! >gl<
mariat
Lively Laner

Post by mariat »

I just read this thread and can I just ask, I'm feeding my girls on layers pellets that have Vermex added by the manufacturer. Is this enough to keep them worm free?
manda

Post by manda »

Hi Deb nothing to add but welcome :-D )wav(

Mariat I would check their droppings...VermX it seems can be great for prevention but it's not a guarantee.....there have been visitors to the Lane who've used VermX and then found their chooks had a worm burden despite this....so have a check but you could always worm with something like Flubenvet as that would clear them of a worm burden.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny