things they won't eat

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

things they won't eat

Post by bmpsands »

I've just seen a post where hens have nettles as a treat. The only thing still growing in the outside run is nettles. Mine won't touch them at any price.

What they would like to eat, but I don't let them, is beetroot tops. Anyone know whether they can have the tops safely? I ask because we've started cropping the beets now and our compost bin is filling up alarmingly.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.

Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Re: things they won't eat

Post by Chookaholic »

Hi BMPSands

I have just read that they can eat beet tops but apparently it makes their poop red if any beetroot is on it so dont panic :D
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

Mine love them as they are the same family as Ruby chard. Not noticed red poo.
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
mariat
Lively Laner

Post by mariat »

If I'm not mistaken, you can eat beetroot tops too. As someone else said, it's supposed to taste like chard.
pepi
Longlasting Laner

Post by pepi »

Coincidentally I was reading today that NETTLES are good for hens - it seems you boil up the nettles and use the water from the nettles to moisten the hens food. Think it was for a worm prevention?

You can also make nettle soup for humans - pluck the tender tops (young bits) off nettles, boil with some water or stock, onions, a little potato (thickener) garlic, salt & pepper and puree - EXCELLENT source of Iron!
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I love beetroot tops in salads - but I suppose I wondered if it worked like lettuce and gave hens the squitters! My lot can poo in sufficient volume without any help.

I've got some nettle tea fertiliser brewing as we speak. It has gone a disgusting colour and smells horrendous - this apparently means that it's ready but needs to be diluted.

I'll see what else I can do with the nettles. We've an excellent crop this year.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

My hens love beetroot tops, and so do I when they have been boiled a little )t'
Dont ever grow up, its a trap