How do I introduce new hens?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
mariat
Lively Laner

How do I introduce new hens?

Post by mariat »

Our little flock of 5 hens, which we have had for 3 weeks now, have settled in nicely, but they are rattling around in their large run, so I would like to get a couple more girls. I have located a breeder near me who has a couple of Black Copper Marans available, and as these were on my original short list of breeds, I want to go ahead and get them, probably tomorrow.

I've read Richards advice about putting them in the coop at bedtime with the other hens, but that would mean trying to find somewhere safe to hold them til dusk. So, can you please advise me on how you all go about it? The last thing I want is a punch up.

boosmummy
Longlasting Laner

Re: How do I introduce new hens?

Post by boosmummy »

mariat wrote:Our little flock of 5 hens, which we have had for 3 weeks now, have settled in nicely, but they are rattling around in their large run, so I would like to get a couple more girls. I have located a breeder near me who has a couple of Black Copper Marans available, and as these were on my original short list of breeds, I want to go ahead and get them, probably tomorrow.

I've read Richards advice about putting them in the coop at bedtime with the other hens, but that would mean trying to find somewhere safe to hold them til dusk. So, can you please advise me on how you all go about it? The last thing I want is a punch up.

I have put mine in separate pens each time (but they can see each other through the wire) ive introduced a new set. then introduced them free ranging, when they stop going for each other ive then put them in the coop together at night.

At the moment, ive had my chicks down there from about 16 weeks they are now at about 23 weeks ish and still separated because they just keep fighting with the ex batts.
xx
photos of allotment & other nice things: http://pinterest.com/girlontheplot/

Follow my blog:
http://girlontheplot.blogspot.co.uk/

Just make sure my think works are wound extra tight, and I will formulate a plan!
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I've done the same, make a little run inside the big run so they can get used to
eachother. I use a little kennel I have as a temporary coop for the new girls until
I feel they're ready to go in with the others. You have to play it by ear a bit.
Some squabbles are rather inevitable but should pass once they've sorted themselves
out.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

I do the same .We separated our Walk-in-Run and put them apart for a couple of weeks ,then let them FR together with lots of places to hide.
You will probably have a bit of gnashing of beaks at first as at least one will want to stay boss or be boss.
The first time I did it it took about 4 weeks before they were buddies and the second time only two.
Have a water pistol or an old washing up liquid bottle at hand as it is useful if you need to squart the bully if you have one .
I reckon don't do it too quickly have patience and it will work .
Good luck )t'
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
mariat
Lively Laner

Post by mariat »

Thanks for the info all. In that case I don't think I can accommodate any more. I have a large old trampoline frame I could cover with chicken wire and place inside the large run, to put the new girls in, but I don't have anything I can use as a temporary coop. {cry}
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

People use all sorts of things. All they need to be is warm , dry and safe . ..a dog crate maybe or even a wooden crate with a nest box made from a plastic tray with straw .Take a look at the link on here of peoples set ups and you will see they use all sorts of things
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
boosmummy
Longlasting Laner

Post by boosmummy »

God mine is just a couple of cut off railway way sleepers and a couple of pallets knocked together with plastic sheeting xx
photos of allotment & other nice things: http://pinterest.com/girlontheplot/

Follow my blog:
http://girlontheplot.blogspot.co.uk/

Just make sure my think works are wound extra tight, and I will formulate a plan!
milli
Longlasting Laner

Post by milli »

You can sleep the girls all together every night from the beginning if you want to. Just separate them each morning when they get up and keep them apart so they can see each other, do this for a few days and then late in the afternoon let them in together for about half an hour or so, sprinkle some treats about to distract the older girls. Use the water pistol method, a washed out washing up bottle of water or a spray bottle and give anyone who is being too much of a bully a quick squirt of water, it shocks them a little and distracts from pecking. The next afternoon give them a bit longer and same the next, they should have gotten used to each other by them hopefully. Just stay with them and use the water spray for a few afternoons, we have used this ( it's the Wendy way ) on all of our intros ( 5 times ) and it works. There has to be a bit of pecking order but nothing too rough, so good luck with your intro >fi< it settles down eventually.
15 ex batty girls, 2 rescue jack russels and one very naughty Shih Tzu puppy who rules the household!!!
mariat
Lively Laner

Post by mariat »

Thanks for the reassurance. I think I have a way round it. I have an old kitchen unit that would house 2 hens temporarily, and some plastic sheeting to cover it with to keep the rain out. I'll adjoin this to the trampoline frame and place the lot next to the main run so they can see each other. Not pretty but it'll work till they are all together. I'll gradually mix then a la the Wendy way.

As always, thanks for the advice. Don't know how I would have managed the last few weeks without the info I have gotten here. It's comforting to know there's a wealth of experience here when I need help. :-D
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

How big is your run. You want there to still be room for a couple more in 18 months/ two years time when all your young hens are older hens and maybe not laying quite as well.

If you fill your run with young hens you'll have a run full of old pensioners at some stage.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
mariat
Lively Laner

Post by mariat »

My run is big enough for another 5 at least, and there are other parts of the garden I could use if needed.