smells

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
FURNYFARMER
Lively Laner

smells

Post by FURNYFARMER »

other than keeping the nesting box and house clean does anybody have any advice about the smell of the run? i dug about 4 inches out a couple of weeks ago which smelt rancid by the way and i put some fresh soil down but the smell is still quite bad. Someone told me that pete can absorb some smell?

any tips or suggestions?

Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: smells

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Stalosan F or Biodri sprinkled about is good. Which one you choose depends on which one smells nicer to you.
I think the Stalosan smells a bit chemically while the Biodri smells a bit perfumy.
Dom
PS Don't confuse Biodri (A sanitiser) with biodry (cleans stains off concrete)
Ali Woks My World
FURNYFARMER
Lively Laner

Post by FURNYFARMER »

thanks i will give them a try, where do you recommend buying them from? online or in a store?
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Stalosan F, it's great. Turns things a bit pinky but well worth it. I got mine online but can't remember where from, the delivery was expensive (it's a bit tub) but I can't find it in the shops. Maybe if you have a horse supplies type place nearby?

For the run, I also put down wood chips which is so much better than just bare earth and helps absorb smells and stuff too. Definitely think about doing that before winter sets in, the muddy slush of a run is horrible. I also poo pick regularly from my run (not daily, but every few days as mine free range, and I am poo picking twice daily from the garden) I change the wood chips every year and the old ones soon rot down to make great compost.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
FURNYFARMER
Lively Laner

Post by FURNYFARMER »

thanks for the advice karen, i have found it for sale on amazon but there is a farm stores place near to me so i will see if they have and compare prices

how often do you use it?
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

Stalosan F for mine as well .Great stuff.
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
FURNYFARMER
Lively Laner

Post by FURNYFARMER »

will order some and give it a go!
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

How often do I use it? When everything starts to get a bit whiffy to be honest +pinn+ Probably no more than 2 or 3 times a year I think. I got my tub a few years ago and it lasts for ages.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Save your money and cover the run!, my run is 12' X 12', bare earth virtually no smell, poo pick every morning, and dig over every month or so! )t' )t'
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

All great advice above - if you use wood chip/stalosan and can cover the run - it will make a world of difference - no smell and the majority of the poo just seems to disappear - put some sharp sand in as well and that helps with the drainage and they like digging in it too.
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

silverback wrote:Save your money and cover the run!, my run is 12' X 12', bare earth virtually no smell, poo pick every morning, and dig over every month or so! )t' )t'

I do both , after having a mucky run for a month covering it was a couple ofr hours work and has saved mne hours of stress...but make sure it is sloping slightly .
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
FURNYFARMER
Lively Laner

Post by FURNYFARMER »

i have ordered some stalosan f and am going to get some wood chippings at the weekend and hopefully that will sort it

thanks for all the advice
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

silverback wrote:Save your money and cover the run!, my run is 12' X 12', bare earth virtually no smell, poo pick every morning, and dig over every month or so! )t' )t'

The same here. I have a covered run and poo pick regularly and absolutely no smell. I do only have 3 chooks but it can still build up if left. It is so much easier to pick up from dry soil as the poo keeps it shape.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
FURNYFARMER
Lively Laner

Post by FURNYFARMER »

have took delivery of 1kg of stalosan f this morning so will give it a try, i have also have a tray made in the factory at work which will sit in the nesting box to make for easy cleaning
FURNYFARMER
Lively Laner

Post by FURNYFARMER »

well i waited until my girls had gone to bed so the run would be nice and clear and i put a liberal sprinkling of stalosan f down on the run floor and this morning was a noticeable difference in smell.......quite literally a breath of fresh air!