Advice please - think we're losing our cockerel

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Advice please - think we're losing our cockerel

Post by Freeranger »

OH saw little Primo, the bantam cockerel, try to get up onto a high perch but miss and bash into it and fall back. He did this a couple more times before settling down to sleep on the floor, which he did all last week. The day before yesterday he was wandering about quite happily but ignored the mash and treats he'd normally go for. Yesterday, he didn't come out all day and didn't eat or drink, so yesterday evening we brought him indoors and gave him some sugar water before bed. He was very passive but half-asleep. This morning he's very passive, puffed up and sort of saggy - sitting down on his bottom. His comb is pale and brownish. He's not eating or drinking. We wonder if he maybe broke a rib or sternum. His crop seemed fine but he squawked when his chest was touched. He's also very skinny.

The obvious thing would be a vet visit, but he's a highly strung and tiny thing and we think the stress of a car journey and handling would kill him anyway. We and the vet tried hard to save his mate a few weeks ago, but we think we just made her suffer for longer with hindsight, including the stress of the treatment. We're thinking he'd be better whether getting better or dying in a stress-free way, but don't want to string things out either. Are considering leaving food and water if he'll take it but not actively trying to syringe it into him. Don't know what to do for the best and any advice is welcome.

MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Re: Advice please - think we're losing our cockerel

Post by MissEllie »

Hi FR
Sorry to hear about your wee boy, if it was an injury to his chest it may get better in time however as you say it may be kinder to stop him suffering :? How old is he?
Could you try giving him some scrambled egg and mealworms for a protein boost? Mine would always eat that even when they were under the weather.
Really sorry I'm not much help but hopefully I've bumped this thread back up for you and someone with more knowhow will be along soon.
Keeping my fingers crossed for him >fi<
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Thanks, Ellie - he' still with us, and I've moved his food as close to him as possible but he still isn't eating. I'd thought of the scrambled egg, but he's so very static and low that I'm not sure he'll eat it and hasn't gone for the mealworms on their own. I'll give it a go.

I noticed that his beak seems dark in colour, and that the big girls all seem to be the same. Significant? I don't know.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Oh - forgot - he's a rescue so not sure how old he is but about 5, we think.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

No idea about the beak thing - unless it's to do with the colder weather. :?
Maybe you're right and it's just his time, it sounds like you're doing everything possible to keep him warm and comfortable. Still keeping my fingers crossed he improves >fi<
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
manda

Post by manda »

Have you checked his crop...tummy all the things you would check with a hen basically.

Could he have a respiratory infection??
Has he got any injuries on his feet / legs?

I suppose there are two ways of looking at this...he might be highly strung and he might not make it to a vet visit but then it could be something simple...if it isn't then you can decide if you take a hands off approach but if the vet thinks say a dose of antibiotics would do something then it could be a simple solve.

The other option, if there are no signs of swelling . infection, respiratory infection is to look at the other thoughts (below)and take a hands of approach...you know him better than anyone.

The other thoughts:
- He is a good age and so it might be just that ...or
- He could be heartbroken if he lost his mate not long ago.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Thanks for your advice guys - unfortunately we have just lost him. I syringed a few ccs of water, and thought he was improving a tad, but a few minutes later he had a fit and slipped away. I did a once over, but there's no obvious reason for this apart from maybe an infection.

He was a tiny wee man with a huge heart and big ambitions, who could strut what little stuff he had with the best of them. We will miss him enormously.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Oh what a shame, so sorry Freeranger {hug}
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Sorry FR, {cry} sounds like he had a lovely forever home with you.
Woody Allen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

So sorry to hear about Primo, he sounds like the perfect little man and I bet he will be sorely missed by you and all your girls {hug}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Paula and girls
Learner Laner

Post by Paula and girls »

Really sorry to hear your news, have been watching this thread with fingers crossed.