One Hen Left....

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
MNSNone
Learner Laner

One Hen Left....

Post by MNSNone »

Sadly over the last 2 days I have lost 2 of my ex batt girls, one to sour crop and well the one I lost today I have no idea as she was as fit as a fiddle when I nipped out for a couple of hours to the shops to restock my coop cleaning supplies.

My remaining hen is as spritely as ever but I am worried that her being on her own could be detrimental to her. I have not had much time to look into restocking my flock as this all happened in 48 hours. I have this afternoon spoken with a local breeder who is selling some 20 week old Nova browns. They are vaccinated and wormed and ready to go.

Do you think it is best to get some Younger hens as company for Mildred? The breeder said it was best for them to be younger but I just wanted other people's opinions. I would have liked to have got some more ex batts but there isn't a rehoming over my way for a while and I really don't like the thought of Mildred having no buddies.

What should I do?

Thanks
Chooks - Mildred "the gannet" & Alice,Geraldine & Martha
Morgan "Chief Hen Herder" (Jack Russell X Staffy)
Rupert "The Resident Geriatric Tabby Cat"

RIP Ethel and Betty -2014 xx

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: One Hen Left....

Post by Richard »

Hi there,

What a shame to lose them like that.

Bear in mind the ex-batts were out the cages at about 60 weeks old.
I don't altogether agree they have to be younger hens, certainly not as young as pre-point-of-lay.

Whatever age, they'll be a pecking order punch up for a couple of days, and the Queen won't necessarily be your remaining hen.

I was down to one Hen after a fox attack a few years back and could see very quickly they are a flock creature, so getting some in is a good idea.

If Point-of-Lay, remember Breeders often state this when they're as young as 14 / 15 weeks or so. I'm sure your Breeder is reputable though.

After a few long waits early on in my keeping chicken years I always get Hens which I know to be layers now.
(but that's ex-batts anyway!!).

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

Hi there

I personally agree you should get younger hens as it is more likely in my experience that they will be less confident and bossy and so Mildred should not get bullied as easily. Those sound like a good plan.
manda

Post by manda »

Another option could be to get one young one (that will give you a more reliable one egg a day) and then when there are ex-batt's available get 2 to add to them...which will mean Mildred won't be on her own and when you do get some more it will be 2 vs 2.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Richard

Post by Richard »

a tag fight !! :-D

I always bring this up, but a lot of it is to do with space available - the more space you have the more chance of an easier introduction period.

I've always had a large area, enough for up to 30 or more so Chickens but never gone more than 7 in the last 7 / 8 years.

I've introduced Breeds to Breeds, old to young, young to old and so on. No matter what age there will be a punch up and you have not got a clue as to who's going to come out on top. Never ceases to amaze me.

I've followed the put new ones in just after dusk method when it's all quiet on the western front. Found this to help a lot and often I've gone up the garden in the morning expecting carnage and mayhem only to find them all looking as if butter wouldn't melt in their mouth!
The punch up usually starts when the feed arrives )eat(

What I would say is better get them sooner rather than later, a Hen on it's own is fine for maybe a couple of weeks but they then start to get a bit disinterested and in chicken behaviour, seemingly down in the dumps.

Good luck, Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi

I had exactly the same situation recently and rather than leave my hen alone, I bought one point of lay hen from a nearby farm and will be getting some ex batts in the June rescue. It's not ideal to introduce one-on-one but as long as there is enough room for the hens to get away and distractions and you are on hand with a water pistol to stop any real bullying, it's worth a go. I introduced a young hen to an older one and it went better than I expected although as everyone points out you can't really predict how intros will go.

If you're near the North West, there are some poor rescued hens looking for homes!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
MNSNone
Learner Laner

Post by MNSNone »

Hi Everyone,

I was really lucky when I brought my 3 girls home for the first time because they did not fight not one bit. Not even a nip which I know is really unusual.

I'm collecting 2 of the young girls on Saturday all being well! And for the time being the dog is keeping Mildred company, they even share the layers meal! I think my dog thinks she is a chicken!

Richard

Post by Richard »

I think I'm a chicken sometimes :-D
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

My cat definitely thinks he's a chicken. He's practically moved into the coop
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I'm just integrating 4 ex-batts in with an established little flock of 8. As Richard says, putting them together in the evening has usually worked for us and we also have an area that is probably big enough for 35 or 40 (haven't accurately measured the new set up) and 12 is the absolute maximum that I would consider. In the late autumn, winter and early spring the hens have the run of the garden is we're at home and I've done very easy integrations during this time.

I visited a friend the other day and she has just got 2 hens. They seemed happy enough but she's already talking about expanding. That's not a welfare issue, I think it's just chickenitis.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
MNSNone
Learner Laner

Post by MNSNone »

Well I collected my new girls this afternoon. Feathers have flown! Mildred is a real bully! Even stopped the girls going into the hen house this evening. I had to intervene and get everyone settled in and let them battle it out!

Introducing Geraldine and Alice (yes I like the Vicar of Dibley) Geraldine is at the Back with her sassy tail!

Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

Thats great. I am sure you have made the right decision. If anyone gets too bossy a quick squirt with water will put a stop to it. Good luck
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I am sorry you lost your girls but what lovely new ones you have )t'
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi,

Sorry, just caught up with this thread.

Glad you got things sorted, so....

...they all lived happily ever after (but not necessarily for the first few days :-D :-D )

Good luck with them,

Richard
MNSNone
Learner Laner

Post by MNSNone »

All is well in the Chook household now!

Mildred was literally spitting feathers for a few days but they all seem the best of friends now and have even started to lay :)

Thier personalities are starting to show now. Alice is a knee sitter and Geraldine is quietly independent :)