Egg formed outside of oviduct......

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
betty162
Lively Laner

Egg formed outside of oviduct......

Post by betty162 »

Hi,
Just wondered if anyone has any experience of this?
I have a lovely chicken who is around two years, I thought at first that she had myco so gave her tylan in the water after a couple of days her abdomen felt tight and hot, so thought perhaps peritonitis, I have baytril, so gave her that for a day and took her to the vet this am. She has an egg that has formed outside of her oviduct so obviously can't lay it...... She has been trying in the nest box, bless her... I have been given more baytril and metacam. The vet has said that he thinks it's best if she is PTS. She is eating, drinking, dust bathing , has anyone coped with this with a happy outcome? If not perhaps the kindest thing is to take her to the vet to be PTS Monday morning?
Seems such a shame, he also said he doesn't think she will survive an operation to remove it.
12 chickens,1 cockerel (del boy) used to be Delilah! 1 rabbit,2 g.pigs,2 dogs,2 children and 1 husband.

Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Re: Egg formed outside of oviduct......

Post by Skeksis »

I would say that as long as she is eating drinking and behaving normally with no pain and enjoying life I would leave her on baytril and metacam for a while and not have her pts. I have had hens who have laid internally before and in time the egg has been reabsorbed and the hen was fine. I dont see why your little hen will no reabsorb the egg and think it is worth trying. The baytril will prevent any infection and the metacam prevent pain and swelling.

I would also comment to be careful with the ABs you administer yourself. If you have Tylan and Baytril etc at home that is fine as I also do have; and administer very carefully. But they need to be given properly over the right amount of days and you must not just give them for one or two days as you will likely do more harm than good x
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

In wonder if your vet thinks she would not survive an op because he is not very
experienced with operating on birds? I've had ops done twice on a chicken, one was a
Long difficult one, and they came through very well, but they were done by experienced
Exotics vets not my regular one. I'm not saying there isn't a risk with operating but
If it comes to that decision I would suggest you contact an exotics referral vet for a
Second opinion before giving up. Parrot keeper forums are often a good place to
Look for names!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

More a question than an answer but may help. If the egg hasn't reached the shell gland it will be a softie so a better chance of re-absorbing it? - EYP an obvious danger but surely everything is sterile so far? Lots of very odd examples of ectopic pregnancies in humans, although irrelevant.

Good luck

Mike
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Sorry to hear about your hen. It is very hard to be a chook owner, and sometimes we all have difficult decisions to make.

Being a hen owner myself I know how difficult it is to make a decision. I would give your vet a call on Monday with an update on your chook and have a word with him/her - at the end of the day they are the expert, not us.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

Certainly have a word with the vet, but at the end of the day your know your hen. I would disagree with Bluebell that vets are always the expert where hens are concerned. Yes if you are lucky, sometimes not the case and they are willing to give up too easily.
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Sorry Skeksis but where health of any animal is concerned vets are more qualified than we will ever be. Vets are qualified to treat all animals (including poultry) and prescribe medications, whereas we are not. Time and time again I read people dissing vets - but vets (unlike our GP's) deal with a high number of species. I maintain that vets ARE the expert.

If anyone reading this ever wants to find a vet who deals with poultry on a regular basis in the UK - please PM me and I will find you one.

)t'

Oops, sorry for going off topic :-D
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

I know you will have a unique perspective as you work at a vets )t'
manda

Post by manda »

Mmmmm I don't think it's a unique perspective Skesis ....the bottom line as far as the Lane is concerned is if you have any doubts contact your vet....they may not be all expert but they do have access to much more info and expert avian vet advice if need be.and probably more readily than any of us....and I don't work for a vet and I'm as tight as with my money )grin2(

and Mike....yes more likely to be a softie and so yes more likely to be absorbed...however once one is laid abdominally it can be the start of a pattern :? and there is only so much that can be absorbed...and egg is unfortunately the perfect place for bacteria to grow.

Personally I wouldn't be giving antibiotics that haven't been prescribed for that specific condition....ideally the vet will draw off a sample of any fluid (if there is any) so they culture it and whilst Baytril is usually the drug of choice for mass infection it doesn't mean it's always the right one.....I'm afraid misuse of antibiotics is how superbugs are now making their appearance.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

That is very true Manda )t' misuse of antibiotics is a huge problem. Definitely should be only used correctly and for the right situation. And perhaps not unique of course but all I was saying is that a vet is not the 'be all and end all'
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Manda - excellent advice from you, as usual.

betty162
Lively Laner

Post by betty162 »

Hi everyone,
Just an update. Poor girl is still eating, roosting, everything a chicken should do. I have given her baytril (as prescribed ) also metacam( as prescribed). I gave her a bath tonight and gently felt inside. The egg is near her vent but not within the laying cavity ie next to but obviously can't be laid. It feels as big as say an ex batt shelled egg.
I am almost out of meds,she has had them for over a week now, shall I just see how she goes??. I don't want her to suffer, but she's definately not at the moment. Or do I insist the vet operates? Or do I wait and see what happens?
Thankyou.
12 chickens,1 cockerel (del boy) used to be Delilah! 1 rabbit,2 g.pigs,2 dogs,2 children and 1 husband.
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

If she is acting normally and living a happy life which it sounds like she is; I would see if the vet will give you more meds for a week and see how she goes. It may sort itself out x good luck
manda

Post by manda »

Talk to the vet hun and discuss options.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I think we all agree that a Vet can feel things, see things and smell things we cant.

Do as Manda says Betty.

Richard {hug}
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome