Chicken Keeping Books

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Chicken Keeping Books

Post by Richard »

Just thought I'd tell you what the top 5 selling books are through Down the Lane to Amazon - based on the last 12 months..

Chicken Manual: The Complete Step-by-step Guide to Keeping Chickens by Laurence Beeken

Choosing and Keeping Chickens by Chris Graham

The Chicken Health Handbook [Paperback] Gail Damero

The Right Way to Keep Chickens [Paperback] Virginia Shirt

100 Ways for a Chicken to Train Its Human

Thing is that since Chicken Keeping became popular so many people are writing books now that it's gone over the top.
Because of Web Sites, virtually everything can be found online with a simple google search, now with sites such as ChickenVet, a book is really more just a reference.

I've had a few new ones sent to me for review but to be honest, most of them are either seemingly published either through research or just written in the 'I know everything' mode and all pretty much the same.

Saying that, the top three in the list are really good and highly thought of amongst Chicken enthusiasts.

The next best seller are the Dummies books, very easy to read but American so some is slightly alien.

In fact, sales in Chicken Keeping books through DTL and a couple of other sites I have dealings with have plummeted. So much so that I'm shortly simple doing an Amazon link with no titles specified.
Even then (I'm rabbiting), people buy through the reviews and I know Authors who have busily gone round their friends to get them to write a five star job!
I believe they're changing that soon to you must have actually brought the book.
Makes sense.

Seems the best buys are the older ones.

Anyway, just something that was going through my mind whilst cutting down trees this afternoon !!

Have any of you found one or two books which are really helpful and can recommend them to people?

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome

Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Re: Chicken Keeping Books

Post by Skeksis »

I've had a few new ones sent to me for review but to be honest, most of them are either seemingly published either through research or just written in the 'I know everything' mode and all pretty much the same.

Thats a bit harsh, Richard, its a lot of time and effort to write a book and credit to anyone who does publish one, I would say! Noone twists anyones arm to buy it!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Maybe :-D trying to get some conversation going skeksis !!

I find that many books and web sites, maybe mine, analyse too much and make keeping chickens seem very complicated, I like to keep things simple

The best books I've read on Chicken Keeping have been the shortest books !!

I wish I had the expertise to write a book, I've been approached to write two books, not on chickens, but turned it down - articles suit me, not a continuation so to speak !!

So a little harsh maybe, but I do ask at the end what books have helped others because I'd like to know and read them myself )t'

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Milly
Lively Laner

Post by Milly »

I bought a book titled Backgarden Chickens and Other Poultry by John Harrison, it's a small paper back book and as such easy to carry around and light reading. The internet is a great source of information but my brain cells often fail me and apart from making copious amount of notes I find it handy to have something tangible I can carry about with me and refer to at times.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

The 'written through research' bit has always been the way.
Don't you find the same misinformation repeated from one Latin book on natural history to the next.

When we were just married and starting a garden we bought a great fat book (by Shewell Cooper). It had everythingin it........except the answer to any particular question we were looking for. We now have a shelf of gardening books, so for any question we can either find NO answer or 6 different answers.

For chicken keeping there is some interesting info in wartime 'dig for victory' books. Though it may not be entirely relevant to modern hybrids.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard

Post by Richard »

I entirely agree with you Mo, the Home Front books are a wonderful source of information for just about anything to do with simplicity and frugality, I use them a lot and as you know, almost all I do is simply copy my Grandparents from the days when I used to watch them in the Garden.

I tend to steer clear of Poultry Health as I don't know enough about it, a little knowledge is often dangerous.

Sorry if my first post was a bit harsh, not meant to be, just reading some of the new books coming out, there is no 'new' stuff in them, best to buy one and stick with that I think.

I do regular Plagiarism checks. I found a web site, a reputable one, had basically copied paragraphs from my site, other paragraphs from another etc! I wrote to them very politely, they said 'gosh, I got someone to write that for me' and so one.

There's one Poultry Site written by someone who has never kept chickens!

Books are a great reference as Milly says, it's nice to have the Encyclopaedia / Reference types handy.

Same with my gardening books, my favourite is Percy Thrower !!

Richard
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I take chicken books on holiday to read so I can get my hen fix +f+ I like Martin Gurdon's attitude to hen keeping but nothin beats 101 ways for a chicken to train it;s human. Can't let my girls find it mind!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Richard

Post by Richard »

Good idea Sandy - do you have a Kindle - books are so much cheaper if you have )t'

I respect that many like the real thing, just if you like reading a lot, they're a nifty thing to have.

Richard :-D
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Isn't a kindle used to make a fire >dum<
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

I've not read many chicken keeping books. I think I've listed on here previously some books I've read and rate highly.

One of the most interesting books I have read about birds was Strouds Digest on the Book of Diseases of Birds. Didn't realise till I bought it, that it was written by Robert Stroud (Birdman of Alcatraz). Good book, but covers a wide range of species of birds. Of course it is a bit dated now, but interesting.

Victoria Roberts writes interesting books on Poultry Health. Michael Roberts is another favourite author - his book of poultry and waterfowl common ailments and diseases is a useful aid.

Regarding husbandry/bird keeping it would have to be Katie Thear or John Seymour.

All of the above authors write well written, informative books. I won't mention some of the rubbish ones I have read :?
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Richard

Post by Richard »

Katie Thear, wonderful author of Poultry Books and will stand time.

A sad loss when she passed away a couple of years ago.

Richard )t'
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

As you say Richard her books will stand the test of time - I am out of touch, hadn't realised she had passed away. :?
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Richard

Post by Richard »

Bluebell...

Kate Thear Obituary

It would be difficult to beat her.

Richard
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Thank you, Richard.

I have a copy of her livestock book - it's looking a bit worn, but its been an excellent reference book. I rate her as a very informative, down to earth author.

Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I've a couple of chicken keeping books that people have bought me as gifts - neither of them have anywhere near as much information as I can get from here.

I only look at the pictures ^b:
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway