What could I use as a temporary chicken coup?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
andy5898
Lively Laner

What could I use as a temporary chicken coup?

Post by andy5898 »

We are hopefully getting our 2 ex caged birds in a couple of weeks, and they will be living with out existing birds eventually. But for the first couple of weeks while we bond them so to speak. Does anyone have an idea what I can use as a temporary coup? I don't really want to go and buy another one as we will only use 1 after a couple of weeks plus space for a new coup is limited. We have a spare run so that's not a problem, but I just wondered what could I use as a coup for the first week or so while we do introductions?

Cheers

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: What could I use as a temporary chicken coup?

Post by Mo »

We made one from old fence panels. 2 squares hinged together (about 3' each way) and 2 triangles. A cup hook at each corner of the triangles and the middle of the hinged side for string to hold it all together. Like an arc or a bar of Toblerone. Without the ends they use it as a day shelter - they like to have somewhere out of the rain/sun which isn't dark (the don't go inside the coup in the rain but they do go under this.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
andy5898
Lively Laner

Post by andy5898 »

What do you think about this as I say its only temporary hopefully for less than a week. II would add a pearch to it etc and adapt it. Image
TheGreatEgg
Lively Laner

Post by TheGreatEgg »

Hi Andy - I was looking at those as well, just to have for a medical ward, introductions etc. I think it would be fine (in my inexperienced opinion) for a couple of weeks and very handy to have around. Also, as you are getting ex-caged they will be used to cramped quarters so may find it less confining than other birds. We also have limited space, so I feel your pain!
manda

Post by manda »

Looks like it would be OK....either that or is there somewhere near to you that can you get hold of an old engine crate....they make really good coops and are easily adaptable as well.
This is one we have a broody coop (although now the doors aren't the end of the runs because ours just wander everywhere!!...but gives you the idea..

¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
thebunster
Lively Laner

Post by thebunster »

I've hatched eggs under a broody a couple of times - when I do that, the broody hen stays in the coop and the other two girls get rehomed in a temorary coop.

In the past I've used a spare plastic compost bin (the access hatch at the bottom served a as a pop hole). The girls were absolutely fine in there.

I'm have a broody at the moment so am looking to rehouse my other two temporarily. This time the compost bin is in use.

I have made a temporary coop from a cardboard box, wrapped in plastic sheeting, but as they will be housed in it for quite a few weeks I'm looking at second hand dog kennels or pet crates from eBay, all of which could be converted into temporary chicken coops and kept for future use as a broody coop or isolation coop for any sick chooks.
andy5898
Lively Laner

Post by andy5898 »

That's excellent, I have now emailed back and should get our ex caged birds 2 weeks today. Just need to buy another drinker ready for them!
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I wouldn't worry about the perch, they don't use them at first - some never do.
Make sure there are some ventilation holes on two sides the box for airflow.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant